And today I did......

Well today was a very full on day at work but it was also very cold, even compared to yesterday.
We were in the PM room until about 1 pm and I thought it must have warmed up a bit but I checked outside and despite the sunshine it was still -7 :shock:
It did warm up a bit by the time I did a trip into town at 3.30 as it was -3.
This morning when I drove to work I crossed the Thurso river and it was all iced up and it was like a slow slushy movement of water under the bridge. I pulled over and took a photo and it was all but stopped this evening on the way home. Some great cloud formations about all day as well. This one was the snow coming in from work when I pulled in.

Jamie

IMG_5046 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_5052 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_5057 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Re:

Shovelled snow off my paths and away from car all day. Edinburgh and Lothians seldom see this amount of snow, over a foot in under two days. At least I am a bit more used to it living below Pentland Hills but the toonies (Edinburgh folk) are fair shocked by it all :shock:

Im actually very glad it snowed.
The last fall a few weeks back I went to the trouble of swopping the road slicks for knobblies, and the day after the damn stuff all melted :facepalm:

Now it's back :D

Besides the countryside in winter if its just rain rain rain looks shit, the mud, the bare trees,the grey skies, it all looks so depressing.
That blanket of white makes everything look clean and sparkly

Re:

Pretty spectacular photos as always Jamie !!

It was a chilly early morning start for me, up at 4am, the temperature on my dashboard was saying -10 :shock: I’ll be finished early though so might get a ride in, or investigate the play I noticed in my rear Hope hub.

I really “Hope” it’s not the bearings as I looked them up and it’s £50 for a set, just for the rear wheel!! (5 bearings in 3 different sizes), and that’s if I fit them, I dread to think how much it’d be at a shop, I might as well just get new(er) wheels!

I have a love/hate relationship with Hope kit, it’s beautifully made and I like that you can replace every part, but there always seems to be something that needs attention, and not often cheap.
Shimano stuff just seems to work, and keep on working, until it eventually dies completely.

Re: Re:

jimo746":u96jx7kn said:
I really “Hope” it’s not the bearings as I looked them up and it’s £50 for a set, just for the rear wheel!! (5 bearings in 3 different sizes), and that’s if I fit them, I dread to think how much it’d be at a shop, I might as well just get new(er) wheels!

What flavour of hub Jimo? Get kits much cheaper on eBay. Check out Blueseal bearings on eBay. Front and rear kit for £25. Then all you need is a friendly retro biker who can post you the relevant tool kit that he may well have sitting in the garage ;)

:facepalm: I need to replace all the bearings on a set of pro2's F&R. Been putting it off as not just the bearings but the drifts as well :(

Although the downside with the cheaper 99p for 10 bearing is they never like going in where they are smooth, and always seem notchy, I guess its better than whats there :?

Re:

Clubby, the hubs are Pro3 (SP-AM4) with the “unique” 4-bolt rotors.
I’ll check out Blueseal on eBay, but my extensive searching yesterday , even searching by individual bearing codes, didn’t turn up much , just some pricey individual bearings, I’d be as well just buying the bearing kit from somewhere like SJS @ £52.

Got some spare 26” wheels I can use in the meantime though, might even just get a new rear wheel.

Re:

Stripped the rear hub down this afternoon, it was in need of a good clean, only the non-driveside bearing seemed a little rough to me, looks like it's been replaced before as it seems like el cheapo metal shielded bearing :roll:
I think I'll just replace that one for now, but after resembling the hub the play has gone, so time well spent :D

That sounds like it was well worth stripping it down and trying to sort with a regrease. Well done.
I like the Hope and Thomson stuff but to be honest it is a bit bling and high maintenance for me :)
The Big Dummy is built with it all over, seat post, stem, etc Hope hub on front with Hope discs. It has been very reliable and while the cargo bike is heavy that gear is made for it as it doesn't see the hard use it would on a mtb setup but it's generally mtb strong. The only annoying thing about the Thomson stuff is that all the bolts seem to be made of cheese, even when 10 year old Caleb tightens them they round out or snap, nice gear finished with crap. I sometimes think these companies start believing their own boutique crap and forget about function for the sake of form, or maybe I am just a heavy handed simpleton who should only use steel :) and maybe a torque wrench ;)
I did like the worried look on the guy in the local bike shop when he seen the nice branded Thomson seat post on the Dummy all shiny except where it had a brass sleeve and a stoker stem clamped to it :)

Jamie

Back