And today I did......

Re:

Hey mate,
I’m not seeing that going on Velo, I’m just seeing a bit of banter about disc brakes.
I’m not into discs at all so have nothing to add but I didn’t see anyone having a go at someone personally. Just banter and differing opinions :)
Take care and stay safe
Jamie

Re:

Velo, I think we are all interested to see your bike build, it would be remiss of us in Macretroland if someone hadn't pointed out the pitfalls of a man of your stature using such a tiny frame in the first instance.
As for the brakes, I think that's just different opinions. I've used the Giant brakes before and they were fine. If that's what you've got to hand then just go with them (if you need spares or discs for them let me know as I've an old derelict set of MPH brakes hanging up in the shed, it's too much effort to try and renovate them if it's even possible, but they may be handy for spares).

Dyna, thanks for the offer but I've sold off my Hope brakes a while back, I got fed up with compatibility issues and the myriad of caliper sizes etc.
Just give me simple Post mount brakes any day of the week! :LOL:

Oh god i hate pm. IS you can shim with super thin washers but pm its eye, and i can never line it up exactly. Constantly tapping one side or the other.

On that note I saw the greatest minor design change to him mountainbike discbrakes ever in their history, but i cant remember whos brake I saw it on.
The mount has a grub screw on the side where the bolt goes through to mount it to frame/fork.
Looks like you can line up exactly but turning it to in turn push against the mounting bolt, then when aligned you can tighten.

I though it was Avid, but they appear not to be doing hydraulic now. Its actually such a good idea I'm thinking of drilling and tapping a hole through one of my older post mount brakes to see if it will work.
Found it - Hayes
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hay ... prod188905

Always the problem lining up the 4 pots. tap the front the back also can move a little. back forth, back forth and in the end its still only down to eye judgement.

Re:

I have some cheapo mechanical disk brakes with a floating caliper. As mechanicals go they're not bad but I presume this floating idea has flaws ?

Re:

Andy, I'm not looking for stoppers, I have a basic but new Shimano hydraulic fully bled disk brake. Previous post was just curiosity about floating calipers.

Re:

Just found answer,it allows single sided piston to trap disc between pad with equal pressure. No floating single sided brakes rely on precise pad positioning which can be a fiddly pain.

The first hope cable calipers were floating. Seems they kept with it from the first model to the second so it must have had some positives.

Re:

Just back in from a fairly long ride taking in 3 areas of local woodland, and for once the trails were nice and quiet! :D
That's thanks to the Police turning people away from parking along the sides of the road (the car parks are already fenced off).
I came in through the back of one of the woods and as I exited the other side by the car park I could see a couple of Police cars there dissuading people from parking up.
Then as I crossed the A96 I could see more Police at the entrance to the next area of woods, I didn't fancy a lecture, so I took a single-track path into the woods to bypass the main entrance. And I didn't see a single soul on my ride around those woods!
Fantastic.

Back