And today I did......

Re:

Finally got around to fitting a new mech hanger to the Gravel bike, been having issues with the rear wheel not wanting to sit straight in the frame, and I knew the hanger was very slightly bent, but shifting was still OK.
One new cnc'd mech hanger later and the difference is amazing, I should have done it weeks ago :roll:

Also cured a long running issue with the rear hydro brake lever which had a couple of cm's of free play and essentially just flopped about and rattled rather annoyingly on descents, although the braking was fine. Having bled the brake before with no improvement I thought I'd bleed it again, just in case I'd mucked it up last time.... It was whilst I was doing this that I discovered the reach adjust screw tucked away under the lever :facepalm: couple of turns and no more rattle :) and the rear brake is now immensely powerful, so I know I was bleeding it correctly :D

RobMac":7xcvtgz6 said:
dyna-ti":7xcvtgz6 said:
What is it Rob ?.
Ragley Blue Pig, RS Revelation 110 - 140, Mavic EX721, Maxxis 26 x 2.50 and full XT as per.

Very nice Rob, certainly got a pedigree.

Today im wondering if i should ditch the kona sus and paint the ti instead with the blue green shade I got from the reduced paint basket.

Re:

Never underestimate the power of Stupid :facepalm: I was going over a bike I bought a couple of weeks ago, the seller said he'd been "fixing bikes up" for years and "knew all about bikes", even said he built bikes for friends... God help them! .. The evidence I found suggests otherwise :roll:
I picked up on a few issues when I bought the bike, reasoning they'd be easy to fix...

Bar tape, bars apparently wrapped by a blind man, not enough coverage on the tops, not finished off properly, lifted the hoods to find a spaghetti junction of bar tape... :LOL:
Steerer top cap, noticed it didn't have one, it's not actually "needed" once everything is fitted I guess, but common practice to fit one (as you would bar end plugs). Which brings me to....
... Steerer bung, no top cap because there was no steerer bung fitted, carbon steerer. No internal bung or expanding wedge, stem bolts most silly over torqued, asking for something to break... :shock: which leads to...
No bung = no way to pull in the slack on the headset, not helped by the fact there was no crown race fitted to the forks, just the sealed bearing sitting about 5mm above the actual fork crown :facepalm: it wasn't even an integrated headset, or frame!

Moving on....
Bottom bracket felt rough, went to change it only to find the square taper cartridge BB had the drive side screwed into the non-drive side of the frame, and so the non-drive side BB sleeve was fitted to the drive side on the bike. I'm not even sure how this is possible, but suffice it to say he BB did NOT want to come out...

Never mind, seller mentioned the gears needed some attention, he was right, the front mech hit the teeth on the big chainring, and the rear mech hanger was loose owing to the bolts securing it being loose :facepalm:

I shudder to think what the other bikes he's touched are like.
As I'd basically striped this bike down I reasoned it was easier to leave it that way rather than try and put right all the Wrongs I'd found :LOL:
I'm no pro bike mechanic, but F-me! Some people's "bodgineering" is really something to behold :shock:

Re:

Feck me that's bad, there's bodgineering which can be OK if done sensibly but that's definitely dodgineering........ :facepalm:

I'd say name and shame the dodgineer but it would be pointless, folk like that are too stupid to know how bad/dangerous what they've done is.

Re: Re:

clubby":2nhgzv5r said:
That’ll teach you not to buy a bike from Keith!

That's funny Clubby, because i did buy the bike from Keith!! (The place, not the person ;) ).

OCP I cant remember the guys name (think it rhymed with "punt", so I took one :LOL: ) saw it for sale on Gumtree, you win some, you lose some :roll:

Re:

Gorgeous afternoon after last nights storms.
Out for a road ride and climbed like crap.
Did have a lovely mid ride feast of wild raspberries though.

Had problems with the rear brake, lever is near touching the bar before it bites.

Bled it through, then again and just 1/2 hour ago. Hoses too long :? well they are a bit. :? could it be the double diaphram or something in the tech lever, so had that in bits too.

Driving me mad till I thought to take a look at the pads.
About 1mm left on each :facepalm:

Actually easy to forget about. So everyone go look just now. Wouldn't want to find out theres nothing there at the wrong moment(which is just how it all works)

Back