And today I did......

Re: Re:

RobMac":3i1z76rk said:
Yesterday I did 13 miles round Loch Leven with a couple of non-biker mates (Jack & Victor) their they are = they're getting right into riding (recreational riding that is) thats two of 'my' converts only so many million to go.
Also today I was out on a 20 mile urban/rural MTB ride "in ma hood" :cool:

In red. It's not looking good for parents evening Robert.

Re:

Why do people have to sell stuff on ebay that screams Velomaniac :facepalm:

All this road bike randoneur audax stuff has sent me back to my tourist days and so I found myself helplessly trawling the touring and vintage roadbike scene. Unfortunately I came across a Schwinn Varsity, a 10 speed racer from the 10 speed racer era that is as rare as hens teeth on our side of the pond but unbelievably common in the states. It had to be mine, its bought and winging its way via parcelforce to me :roll:

So why am I rolling my eyes you ask. Well its no Dawes Galaxy thats for sure, its infamously described as the heaviest lightweight ever made and in turns of numbers, the most common derailier geared bike ever made :shock:

Also strangely despite being a road bike it is linked to the mtb hall of fame as some of the early clunkers used the varsity frameset.

Most interesting aspect is its construction which is Electro Forged, unique to Schwinns Chicago factory never before or since used. The frames are heavy by road standards but are very tough so it should hand a spot of off road as well as on, I do tend to get a bit epicyclo when I go for a cycle and often leave the tarmac. Several interesting articles on the Varsity and Electro Forged framesets can be found on Sheldon Browns website.

So we shall see, I'll keep you posted ;)

Re: Re:

The History Man":26x74xo6 said:
RobMac":26x74xo6 said:
Yesterday I did 13 miles round Loch Leven with a couple of non-biker mates (Jack & Victor) their they are = they're getting right into riding (recreational riding that is) thats two of 'my' converts only so many million to go.
Also today I was out on a 20 mile urban/rural MTB ride "in ma hood" :cool:

In red. It's not looking good for parents evening Robert.

:LOL:

Attachments

• 20170808_084854-768x1185.png
    20170808_084854-768x1185.png
    90.6 KB · Views: 399
Classic Jimo, that is very funny indeed :)

Velo, the Varsity sounds like the perfect bike for you, well done and many congratulations :)
I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Jamie

Re:

Had a look at some pics of Schwinn Varsity. Looks ok other than the chainset which looks industrial. Could probably drop pounds changing that and the wheels . Can't be much heavier than the Dawes Lightning. Can it ?

Back