Aluminium Frame lightweight build project IDEAS?

Gadro

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I've been thinking about this for a while, one of my mates has just had a new Orbea Road Bike. When I picked it up I just though WOW. I don't know exactly how much it weighs (I'll give him a ring later) but it's silly.

Now for some reason when I've ridden road bikes in the past I've ended up aching all over for days. The riding position just doesn't work for me and I also find the thought of cycling miles on tarmac just a tad tedious.

So I'm toying with the idea of a weight weenie project, fully rigid, not spectacularly light but as close to 20lbs (or under) as my budget can afford. Needs to be capable of the odd forestry road and single track but nothing too demanding. Not single speed though, far too many hills around here :)

The starting point for any project is a frame, I want aluminium for this. So anybody with any experience of something mid - late 90's that would prove suitable. Being thinking along lines of slim tubed early cantilever Zaskar but that's probably because I'm GT biased. Would appreciate any views of other contenders or examples of fellow members builds and weights. At the moment I've got somewhere around a £600 budget for a full build (but it will probably get higher as once the obsession kicks in the wallet starts to get empty). Not looking for ultra bling just a mixture of carbon and shiny aluminium. So what frames are good starting points??

Could probably pick up a Zaskar frame for £100 - £150. Going retro on this but I have toyed with the idea of a New Zaskar Carbon Pro, seen a couple of 2009 models on offer but too easy ;) Even toyed with getting a ZUM frameset :oops:

Scott Endorphin - nah - cost a bit to get one in nice condition and you'd have to get a dog rough one painted with that flexy paint.

Sticking with aluminium but might look at 853 tubing

With a £600 budget you should do fine. If it was me, I'd go for 853 or, even better, Ritchey Logic Supertubing. You should find a 19" frame in either at less than 4lbs. Maybe 1/2lb heavier than alu, but so much nicer to ride. A merlin Rock Lobster, or Saracen 853 frame, for example, at about £100-150.
Kona P2 TB's and some mavic 230 wheels with decent hubs.
That's £300 so far...

gadro
this is a spares box build GT
i since bought a king headset (£35)and some xtr.221 wheels (£50)
and an xt seat post (£45)

the rest was in the shed unused ,not a zaskar frame but it weights just
under 20lb
single speed ,go for an easier gear i run 18/32 and it is hilly round here
P1010142.jpg

3.0 series dale would be my starting point.

as the chief says a dale frame is a good start
i think my GT would be about a pound lighter with a zaskar frame
but for £600 you could build summat quite special

Back