Alternative to Magura for Pace RC200

Thanks for all the replies so far. She won it at the 1996 European Cycle Messenger Championships. I'll have to ask my Dad to check for a model no (it's at my parents place since we only just moved to a big enough place with a garage to start housing our full collection) but she remembers it being a few years old when she won it. It came with the Margura's, the tange forks fitted. She had recently moved to Canada and it was built up there. It was mostly used as a work and winter bike (including ice races...) but was used for some mountain biking.

View attachment 795820

View attachment 795819

After she then won a road and track bike it was subsequently used less and less.

It's been at my Parents for about 10 years and possibly hasn't been ridden in nearly 20!?

She's said she would prefer some nice, possibly unusual cantis to v brakes.

I'm tempted to change this over to a build thread, but since it won't be me reassembling it that doesn't really seem to fit the spirit of a build thread?

Nice project for winter.

If she is looking for something early 90's then canti brakes would be your option if maguras are definitely out and also the frame is designed for them. Though maguras are pretty much maintenance free and work great once set up. Dia Compe 987's are some of the best canti's and work great once set up, go well with SS5 levers, used on all my bikes I actually ride.

As for a build thread, doesn't really matter who is building it, we would love to see the progress and the bike brought back to life for someone to enjoy again, so yes, start one! :)

Nice project for winter.

If she is looking for something early 90's then canti brakes would be your option if maguras are definitely out and also the frame is designed for them. Though maguras are pretty much maintenance free and work great once set up. Dia Compe 987's are some of the best canti's and work great once set up, go well with SS5 levers, used on all my bikes I actually ride.

As for a build thread, doesn't really matter who is building it, we would love to see the progress and the bike brought back to life for someone to enjoy again, so yes, start one! :)
Second the Dia compe, once set up which is far more satisfactory an engineering solution than period shimano, the period shimano cant hold a candle to them in my opinion.
I bought an old orange clockwork locally, and its mostly black 92 / 93 shimano lx, but thank god the original owner specced the dia compe.
I have only ever had shimano canti or v on rim brake bikes and I was amazed!
Invest in good pads, I used ritchey pads that are quite long, look a little v brake but good surface contact.. they are are so nicely made too, and polish up nicely.
Team them with some fancy looking alloy hangers for the cable straddle that would look mustard on a Pace. regards Enigma

Back