Alternative to Magura for Pace RC200

Tommy27

Retro Guru
Trying with the help of my Dad to restore my Partners Pace in time for a landmark birthday. She won it in '96, obviously by which time it was a little dated. She'd prefer to have something powerful, but not as off/ on as the orginals of which we only have the front anyways...

Are you looking to be period correct?

Shimano V brakes were 1996ish, so if its a 1996 bike she won then they'd work. Powerful and nice to use. Also the first gen XT's were by far the prettiest.

As per above M739 V brakes would have been the go to brakes back in the day - however you will need V Brake levers if you currently have a Canti on there at the moment otherwise they'll feel terrible

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Brake levers.

Mainstream v brakes were really 1997, hence the sites cut off at 97 for retro over modern, but what's a year anyway. Are you saying she won it in 96 but it was older?

Maguras are supposedly a great brake, but if you aren't keen, v brakes are what I'd switch to.

Are the forks wearing the maguras pace? Are the maguras fitted to standard brake bosses or dedicated magura mounts? Hopefully it's standard brake bosses or you have the added pain of sourcing the correct brake mounts for the forks.

As has been said, xt v brakes came out around 96/7, lovely looking brakes but if looking to buy a set, make sure there isn't play in the linkage as it rattles annoyingly as you ride.

Xtr m950 came out around 98, linkage design so same potential issue. It can be tuned out with shims if you want to take them apart.

Other Vs of the period worth a look are dx (red, no linkage to worry about) and SRAM 9.0.

You've then got more fancy options like onza, marinovative, Paul's, controltech and others.

If you aren't too worried about period correct (I'm not, but that's me), then there are lots of options like avid (various SD range, but 7, sl, to and mag were higher end).

Not meaning to plug anything I'm selling, but I do have an unhealthily large collection of v brakes if you are looking to go that route).

Post a pic of the bike, would be nice to see and I'm sure help us all assist with your brake choices.

Thanks for all the replies so far. She won it at the 1996 European Cycle Messenger Championships. I'll have to ask my Dad to check for a model no (it's at my parents place since we only just moved to a big enough place with a garage to start housing our full collection) but she remembers it being a few years old when she won it. It came with the Margura's, the tange forks fitted. She had recently moved to Canada and it was built up there. It was mostly used as a work and winter bike (including ice races...) but was used for some mountain biking.

IMG-20231111-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20231111-WA0005.jpg

After she then won a road and track bike it was subsequently used less and less.

It's been at my Parents for about 10 years and possibly hasn't been ridden in nearly 20!?

She's said she would prefer some nice, possibly unusual cantis to v brakes.

I'm tempted to change this over to a build thread, but since it won't be me reassembling it that doesn't really seem to fit the spirit of a build thread?

Love this, sounds like the bike has had a proper history. What kind of use will it be getting after you restore it, is she planning on riding it a lot on proper off road? If so I'd prioritise function over form.

It'll be used for things like the Downslink, South Downs Way and other bridleways and byways around West Sussex.

And given it's owners history it won't be a show bike, but she said she would like it to be built with parts from the early 90s to fit the bike. I think that also means throwing in a few anodised nuts and bolts... but yeah I think she wants something that functions well, not just looks good!

That's an F2 so the 1993 model.
Serial should be in the approximate range RC0450 - RC0650

Nice, XTR M900 cantis are the best, but not different.

You could go bad and crack Onza?

Or find something weird.

Back