Alan Bonds 1939 "Orange Dream" bomber

Hey thanks for the inspiration. I saw the bike on Alan B's site and it gave me lots of ideas for my own build.
IMG_3306.jpg

IMG_2438.jpg

Here is the next project.
IMG_4071.jpg

sandmangts":3eg9b15t said:
Hey thanks for the inspiration. I saw the bike on Alan B's site and it gave me lots of ideas for my own build.

Then you likely saw the 38 I built with a Nexus in back...and something else in front.

nexus_01.jpg

THAT was a fun bike; sold it a couple years back to a fella who lives near Lake Tahoe and rides it down a place called Downieville - claims it's faster than his modern Santa Cruz Blur and I don't doubt it, these old bikes were all about going downhill :D

Ofcourse I saw it, thats where I got the idea! My Merc is my daily commuter. Luckily my commute includes 8 miles of dirt in the afternoons. I just got a nice sturmey 3 speed rear drum brake hub for the Schwinn. I am currently building an Elgin with a skip tooth morrow on polished arayas.

Yours is certainly the most modernized of all the Clunkers. I have often thought to take a pre-war frame even further than you did with a Rohloff internal, modern fork and hydro front disk.

People think I am crazy when I show up for group rides on my 48 pounder. It used to be 51 before I got the tange fork.

sandmangts":2camjgvh said:
I have often thought to take a pre-war frame even further than you did with a Rohloff internal, modern fork and hydro front disk.

You can fit a 1 1/8" threadless headset into a pre war frame - it takes some very careful milling but it has been done. The 1" BMX headset I used went into the stock headtube with zero mods so I could revert to pre war headset, that was what I liked. A nice 1" steerer Marz fork reduced to 60mm would be the best IMHO - if I were doing that build again I would have gone with less travel.

Oh and I had a Rohloff, you don't gain enough gear range to offset the extra weight and complexity - the Nexus (especially with the roller brake) is such an elegent hub, almost made for these bikes.

...speaking of internal gears, I rode this 700C Mikkelsen with Rohloff rear up Tam today...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1 ... 0950066640

Back