Alan Bonds 1939 "Orange Dream" bomber

tam_shadow

Old School Hero
Alan built this up for me a few weeks back, rides as purty as it looks.

o39_01.jpg

Vintage bits are 1939 Schwinn DX frame and Excelsior X badge, Bendix lever action 2-speed coaster, Araya 7X hoops, Suntour mid flange alloy hub, Sugino cranks with TA 42T track ring, B72 saddle (stamped 1975), Ashtabula "Mongoose" stem, Mafac cantis (scored these like 6 months ago along with a lot of NOS Bendix parts - that's what started the project), Diacompe red dot lever and cable hanger, Campi QR binder. Custom paint by Alan Bonds of 70s Repack fame (www.clunkers.net).

Pedals are VP, grips are AME, bar is Renthal motocross, tires are Nevegal 2.35 Stick-E (PLUSH!!!). Most from Alan's stash but I can take credit for the brakes, seatpost, bars/grips/pedals/tires, YST bottom bracket, some NOS bits to complete the Bendix and the idea for the color (we were riding China Camp and I had ridden Tam the day before with a pal on his orange Blur, so I said "How about Orange" to which Alan said "I always wanted to do an orange bike!" ...case closed).

o39_06.jpg

Oh yeah, like the fork? Vintage Cook Bros tube fork with canti posts I found on the ebay recently. Originally going with an early 90s Breezer fork so this worked out much better.

Bike weight? 33 pounds as ridden. Not bad for an old clunker.

More pics in my gallery.

Fanbloodytastic!

Thats made my day,Thank you. :D

cheers,Al

Cool beyond belief!

Any work done on the frame other than the spray?

Back