Advice on restoration

Seriously the paint on that is in great shape. The paint loss on the head tube is from cable rub, get a set of any rub stickers and cover over it if you want.

The use on the pedals is fine, and would be lik3 that again after one use if restored

The stem is just the quill exposed above the paint line

I find trying to colour match a bi5 of a waste of time, so any little chips I touch up with grey primer, slows the rust and looks honest

An old bike like that with no scars is a bit sad really, a bike that’s well maintained and is cleaned, but shows it signs of use, for me thats iwhere it’s at

Though I was initially skeptical; I tried Rhino Shine - the best product for what you're looking to do, hands down..
Though it seems pricey; I've had 1 litre of it and used it on bike frames and on two cars for over a year; and still got about 1/3 left!

It leaves a residue however, so be careful how you use it; best thing I find is to spray the stuff onto a J-cloth or even a sponge and then just paste it on. Not worth using on metal parts of course; Autosol still best for that.
Initially if you have no loose decals; using EvoStik Adhesive cleaner is decent at grease removal; but Rhino Shine knocks spots off any other wax/polish for scratch removal and colour restoration. It's made the greying rubber seals on car windows; 20+ year old plastic car bumpers and metallic and flat car and bike paint come back up to looking new. Same for plastic/rubber bike brake parts (Maguras) and car interior.
I got it for a tenner for 1L, think it's a little more now but honestly this stuff is absolutely brilliant - and a little goes a long way.

Re:

To get your hubs blinging again what I do is use a little autosol on an old tooth brush to get into all the nooks and crannies. Once you've rubbed it around for 5or 10 mins wipe it off with a polishing cloth.
Any residue that left over use another clean toothbrush to move it then keep going back with the cloth until it's all gone. Eventually you will see yourself in the gleam on the hubs

Like everyone's said a good clean will make a good difference. What I do after is use a can of any sort of back to black silicone spray on the frame and let it soak in for about 10 mins then gently give it a light rub with a clean cloth. This will make most of any scratches disappear and be less noticeable. It will also go some way to protecting your frame.

Obviously the next time you clean your bike you will need to reapply the silicone spray again to get that all over clean look again.

Managed a bit today with the donor bits from my second bike...
I used autosol on everything
Sorry for the quality, I blame this sites hosted limit of 500kb

Attachments

• 2A621EE0-2758-493D-8C26-2CC7E2E7A13D.jpeg
    2A621EE0-2758-493D-8C26-2CC7E2E7A13D.jpeg
    174 KB · Views: 81
Back