Advice on my low gears for my Retro 531 build.

widowmaker":2xv1kl5u said:
Spokesmann":2xv1kl5u said:
I run a 14-34 rear with a 48/38/28 Stronglight triple on one of my builds - it can tackle any hill.

What rear mech do you use, are you running a cassette for freewheel ?

6 speed freewheel with a Shimano Tourney, Shimano Acera X front mech.

At Eroica this year...
P6174579_zpsqa6mzie3.jpg

Re:

So I could replace my 7 speed 13-28 screw on freewheel with a 14-34, bung on a tourney I have in the shed. I could keep my 52/36 crank. Giving me a 36-34 lowest gear :)

What's the last ratio before the 34T, I assume there is quite a big jump between gear 5 & 6 ?

The only issue would be my 7 speed indexed downtube shifters, but then I could use them in the friction setting or have a 'ghost' click on them :? :?:

Re:

Would have to be in friction mode, no ghost click method. 6 speed is 5.5mm between cogs, 7 speed is 5mm.
However my tricolour 7 speed levers came with a plastic insert that you put in the lever's cable slot to alter the pull ratio for 6 speed

Re: Re:

pigman":2kdhtbs4 said:
Would have to be in friction mode, no ghost click method. 6 speed is 5.5mm between cogs, 7 speed is 5mm.
However my tricolour 7 speed levers came with a plastic insert that you put in the lever's cable slot to alter the pull ratio for 6 speed

Thanks, useful info :) I may need to keep an eye out for some.

Friction would be ok for me for now, its a training bike and just used for solo rides but its hilly in Dorset :shock:

Am I right in assuming I would need a longer chain for the 14-34 freewheel if I used the 6 speed Tourney rear mech ?

EDIT just found on Spa Cycles they do a SHIMANO 7 Speed TZ31 Megarange Freewheel 14-34, so I could keep my 7 speed indexed 105 DT shifters with a 6/7 compatible Tourney TX35 Derailleur, I just assume I will need a longer chain ??

Re:

Just to add, I have used campag 8 speed ergos successfully with a 6 speed shimano back end. Worked perfect, no mods.

widowmaker":276rc8he said:
Nob":276rc8he said:
What’s wrong with a 14-34 freewheel....just need a rear mech with long cage

I didn't think you could get screw on freewheels with 34 teeth ?

When I was going to college 79/80 I had a 14-34 5 speed block couple with a single 68T chainring upfront on my Carlton Clubman back then. Used a Sun Tour VGT rear mech & ran smoothly. Always got a lot of looks because of the large ring :)

Re: Re:

widowmaker":1sfevl5r said:
So I could replace my 7 speed 13-28 screw on freewheel with a 14-34, bung on a tourney I have in the shed. I could keep my 52/36 crank. Giving me a 36-34 lowest gear :)

What's the last ratio before the 34T, I assume there is quite a big jump between gear 5 & 6 ?

The only issue would be my 7 speed indexed downtube shifters, but then I could use them in the friction setting or have a 'ghost' click on them :? :?:

28 is the 5th gear sprocket.

If you are running down tube levers then almost any old mech will work as long as it is long enough to cope with the chain length of a wide range of sprockets. Even if indexing or using STI you can mix and match road and MTB up to and including 9 speed. Older Shimano MTb mechs are just junk value. Buy a scrapper MTB and strip it.
Why not fit a MTB chainset?
Older front mechs are much more forgiving than new ones. My Campag Record one works quite happily with a 22/32/42 triple for example.

Back