Advice on going 2x8 speed

Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions :)

Thus far I've been unable to find a new 94 BCD micro steel chainring for sale for under 30 quid anywhere, but I haven't looked very hard.

I'd like to go 8x1 but I'm afraid to lose the 42x12 gear ratio for the occasional bit of fast road riding.

And there don't seem to be any 8 or 9 speed 11-36 cassettes, which would make my quest for a usable 1x8 easier.

legrandefromage":r8e7zkue said:
Cassettes are easy - make your own up?

With this very idea you have just blown my mind :xmas-cool: I'm going to have to look into this.

Anyone have any advice on where to buy steel 5 arm 94 bcd chainrings? I see lots of alu rings for sale, but would prefer the hardness of steel.

Im using 2x9 with a 46/36t CD with a Sram X9 front mech .12-38 cass
Its a nightmare :LOL: That big an outer and the X9 has a capacity of 42 :? It can make it but youll lose the bottom one maybe 2 cassette cogs when in middle(not that you'd be really using those) and the bottom cog when in the big ring. If you sit it there the chain will rub on the mech cage.

I expect for a more modern 42t it would all work perfectly but if youre using a standard 3 speed shifter then limit it to the bottom 2 gears on the shifter and adjust the limit to stop it going over
Theres a wee plus to this in that you can slightly overshift the mech which makes sure the chains on then drops back a couple of mil. Bit of a fiddle as if you overdo it the chain will shift right off.

Back