Advice on going 2x8 speed

ultrazenith

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all,

I know google is my friend, bu I wanted to ask advice from others here on changing from 3x8 to 2x8 speed, for my retro steed. I use a micro Sugino triple chainset, but the middle chainring, which I almost exclusively use these days, is worn out. I have thought about just replacing it with a similar one, but since I never use the inner ring (even off road) due to having a 11-34 cassette, which combined with the 32 t middle ring gives me the lowest gearing I ever really need, so I am also toying with the idea of fitting a single speed middle ring and maybe dropping the inner ring altogether.

Would there be any gain of any kind from fitting a single speed middle ring on a double/triple chainset? Am I mad? Any advice or comments would be most welcome!

Re:

Just replace the middle ring with a normal middle ring, and ditch the granny ring.
Set your front mechanism limit screws so it doesn't go down to the granny ring anymore, it's easy to forget and shift down, dropping the chain.

Re: Re:

jimo746":2w1g4pku said:
Just replace the middle ring with a normal middle ring, and ditch the granny ring.
Set your front mechanism limit screws so it doesn't go down to the granny ring anymore, it's easy to forget and shift down, dropping the chain.

Did exactly this in 1998, and only ever regretted once - 3weeks ago at Llandegla when I realised that the middle ring I was running at the time was worn out and skipped like the double dutch.... spent pretty much all day on the 48t :shock:

Do It!

secret_squirrel":2irwefdk said:
What advantages do you think a SS ring will give you? just a cleaner look at the crank?

I thought I read somewhere that SS rings have taller teeth, which gave some advantage somehow. Dunno.

Re:

It might help there but it would be completely outweighed by the upshift problems you would get due to the lack of ramps and pins on it.

Re:

I think what he is implying is that he is ALSO thinking of just going 1x8, and using a SS ring

G

secret_squirrel":h9ojxu9l said:
It might help there but it would be completely outweighed by the upshift problems you would get due to the lack of ramps and pins on it.

I had assumed (without ever actually knowing, I should say) that the ramps and pins on a ring are there to help in moving the chain down from that ring, or up to it, but not from that ring to a larger ring. If that is true, then ditching the inner ring and putting an SS ring on the middle would not be too detrimental to shifting. I could be wrong, though.

The carerra subway was 2*8, uses a chain guard in place of the outer to keep the chailine nice. My mate used middleburn rings in place of the steel.

unkleGsif":3r7fdjuw said:
I think what he is implying is that he is ALSO thinking of just going 1x8, and using a SS ring

G
2x8 in the title?

Just get a normal unramped (well not sg-x style with pickups) and you'll be fine. How often do you find it jumps off normally?
There are profiles for shifting up as well but nothing you need to worry about. Life managed quite fine without them from grannies and in road srtups. It's just not as immediate, then if they're not in the right place for big ring ramps and pins it can all just be wrong.

Anyway. Buy a ring either leave it 3x and get a better suited rear end or 2x if you prefer the look of 2x.
You do get the advantage of adjusting to road chainlines if the crank will cope.

Back