Advance Notice - Bygone Bykes Classic Show 2013

Cheers paul.

I'm planning on a trundle up there, through temple newsam, so bike will be suitably caked in mud. From there i need to recce some of the trails around there.

:)

Marc... I'll be there at some point this morning. Will have a couple of ankle biters in tow though.

Do you need a lift to the Howden ride tomorrow?

Hi rich, I won't be riding tomorrow but thanks for the offer.

I'm hoping to get to st mary's by 11am -ish, then a recce of temple newsam after that, sporting a freshly porder-coated, freshly decal'd, nos tyred, noc chained cro mega.

So thats why i'm not riding tomorrow, a full day washing a 1991 alpinestars. ;)

Re: Advance Notice - Bygone Bykes Classic Show 2013 ~afterma

Bygone Bykes.

Saturday morning, neck still aching from a hard working week, need to get cycling though and try out a recently completed build. You could do a lot worse with your recovery time than take your bike onto tarmac roads and, test the gears throughout it's limited ratios.

Destination- st mary's church hall, near temple newsam, Leeds.
Whenever I visit any venue with cycles and cycling as the event, there is always a presence outside of either bikes or their owners selling their bikes. Today was all interior due to the 5-6 degree 'c' and, the event was exhibition rather than jumble.

The initial feel of the event was sparse and a low turn out but, as i meandered amongst the push irons and learned old school cyclists I , couldn't have been more wrong!

The overall theme was road cycles with the odd track and 19th century vintage velos.

Also what was apparent is the way people like to add their own names to bikes, back in the day it was the done thing when in a cycling club and, may serve as theft deterrent!

;)

Random pics for your perusal. real old stuff.

Some rare and custom equipment.

I've seen this seat tube curve somewhere before.

Raleigh, a familiar brand.

Three wheels good.

1960's clown bike, complete with a spokey-dokey!

You can't help but admire the craft that went into the detail on some the bikes. It is obvious that a bike was part of the family back then, rather than a luxury to be left in the shed between weekend trail centre visits.

Where do you put the DD batteries?

:)

A real chain, from a battleship.

Leisure craft.

I could have spent time there simply chatting to the folk there, friendly people that will educate you on every nut and bolt on the bikes. When things are pointed out to you it is much easier to appreciate the function of certain components. When looking back at the variety of cycles and frame types it is quite obvious that the cycles we are familiar with now have been perfected long ago, probably 100 years ago but, all generations have to leave it's mark somewhere to harness the trends we adopt.

This penny farthing has been ridden by tony all across eastern europe and here, in the united kingdon. In his own words "sheer stupidity" to do so but it can't do any harm to try the high bike out. I'm not sure how many more thousands of miles he will pedal before he is happy with it's performance. Man of steel and a true ambassador for retro-cycling.

Thankyou.

Excellent revue Marc, many thanks. Good to see you and Ringo there.

See you there next year as well?

Along with many others I hope!

Gosh, yes nice to see you well paul. :) Equally good to cross paths with ringo too, sporting his titanium road bike!

I have every intention to call in next year, especially if the event can be done in spring, a collision with a ride in the temple newsam area would be a dream!

take care mate.

marc.

Yes, I enjoyed the event hugely!

Always like a little eccentricity and the guy with the Penny farthing was a true one off and seeing him whizzing around (the small) car park on that was fantastic.

Great to see the Almega also, great job Marc!

Very friendly bunch, I learnt a lot, which is always good. Best piece of advice was to get to Manchester Velodrome to learn track riding, at around a tenner an hour (inc bike hire!). Anyone up for it?

Now where do I find a Buzz cycles frame!

Looks nice and loving the proper old bikes. Only see them in our local museum.
Would Bygone want a Retrobike MTB little show next year to widen the breadth of bikes. I'm sure some of us have some fully period 80s/early 90s bikes.

Couldn't make it yesterday as the wife went ti see Kaberet. exactly!

I'm sure they would Ben... Marcs Cromega and a couple of mine got some interest...

Back