A Very Sad Looking 1992 Saracen Kili E Stay with issues

coomber

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
This was cheap and I bought it under the influence of alcohol...

Kindly picked up and delivered by the great gravy monster

Has awful parts, no problem I think, strip them off, most can be binned as in a right state, but the frame is still dent free and good. Or so I thought. Then I see this:

One seatpost half way down the seattube. Hard to tell how much is in there but its bothering me.

Cant get a magnet down there to see if its alu, but assuming it is and so next week I'll be giving caustic soda a go.

If I dont give up and pass it on.. It'll be a modest build of stx and a few nicer bits like thumbies, ritchey bars, old flite if I can restore it.

Yep, its a bit of a dog.

Re:

Nice one!
You can't beat the old caustic soda method, it works very well.
Can't see any problems other than the minor one with seat post, great project.

Did they ever make these frames for short-arses like me?

Re:

Dendy on here had a small one. Its not that gate like on it as top tube is only 22.5".

Caustic soda.. Frame upside down and plug top or just pour straight down seattube do we reckon?

Couldn't resist a little more tinkering so cranks now off and junked unless anyone wants altus cranks with free rust and presumably stuck plastic pedals...

Handlebar is great. Been hammerited but mainly on the top. Shifts are junk anyway but not coming off. Might have to cut bar in half to slide off and then I can rescue stem which is fine otherwise and now removed.

Pimp the Panda!

55b5a26289b8b0d106e62a62ea6d3ba0_zpsce8806a5.jpg

Shameless

coomber":1f89ympj said:
delivered by the great gravy monster

:LOL: The GGM :LOL: your making me sound like a circus act :LOL:

Im glad you have sunk your teeth into it and look forward to seeing it out on trails

The History Man - I love your builds. That saddle is a beauty.

GGM - I like it! Has a ring to it.

Assuming the post melts out nicely, anyone know what size seatpost I actually need?

Back