Another Saracen Kili Team 97/8

prezza

BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Yup… I’ve done it again! 🤦‍♂️

Another Kili to restore.

This is a 19inch totally original and one owner bike. A credit to its original owner who Was a lovely fella who was almost crying when I bought it from him.
Even has the original red bits and pedals plus the tyres which u can see are very low use!!!!

Zero dents or rust. Few scratches that will touch in. The decals on these never last well and weren’t great from the factory but this one is 7.5-10 I’d say for decal condition.

Plans….

Well the seatpost is stuck!!!! That’s my first task!!! Might try soaking it in wd40 then placing it in a vice and turning the frame?

Needs a good strip and service, new cables and polish up.

One of the Stx rc shifters has been replaced with another but I have replacement coming.

I have full XT groupset for it but quite like the Stx rc…

Not sure whether to preserve the decals or order some new ones from Gil or even just replace the down tube ones???

It’s only original once though as the saying goes… see where it takes me.

Ultimately I get my kicks out of the restoring so I’ll probably sell it on once restored as mint as it can be 👍

A lovely frame and very light too…

😎

Attachments

• IMG_5261.jpeg
    IMG_5261.jpeg
    786.9 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_5262.jpeg
    IMG_5262.jpeg
    821.9 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_5263.jpeg
    IMG_5263.jpeg
    856 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_5264.jpeg
    IMG_5264.jpeg
    452 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_5265.jpeg
    IMG_5265.jpeg
    638.6 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_5266.jpeg
    IMG_5266.jpeg
    678.3 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_5267.jpeg
    IMG_5267.jpeg
    461.9 KB · Views: 169
Thanks guys…

After deliberation… the decals will be reapplied where lifting and preserved as original. The paintwork will be buffed and touched in where needed (very minor mark or two). I think that the result will be in keeping with my high standards but retaining the originality…

I’m hoping to unstick the seatpost at the weekend as there’s a vice at work I can use to gently tease it free…

After that, unless I decide to fit a full period XT groupset I have, I think it will be a full strip and clean of what’s here with headset bearings, cables and pads being replaced to make it a very capable and useable head turner…😌 and along with the NOS stem and bars I sourced plus some new grips I recon this could be a cracker!

Decisions decisions decisions…..

Hmmm… couldn’t get the right angle or purchase on the post using the vice at work. Think I’d need some kinda conical adapters to grab the circular post better…
If anyone has any ideas then let me know…. 🤷‍♂️

Gonna try the hairdryer method on the post this week to try and warm it.. also I could do same with boiling water but thinking the hairdryer will be less messy

You could try souking it in plusgas around the collar and in though the bb. Quick sways from hot with from a heat gun to cold pipe freezing spray can work whilst its got twisting tension on it can work.

Latest posts

Back