A teenage dream! 1998 DMR trailstar project

Re: Re:

Timoth27":fgtp9pc1 said:
All good mate can see it all now. Love that baby dmr

It's ace isn't it. Still undecided what to do with it. I reckon a set of 10" wheelbarrow wheels with 3" tyres might squeeze in. If I can figure a way to correct the hub spacing and fit a freewheel I might make it into a mini fat bike for the kids to mess about on.

Re:

Liking it so far mate, id splash a load of red anodised bits on it myself :cool: Those early trailblades arent easy to find nowadays, i remember buying a pair in 2008, and it took me a few months to actually find a set even then

Re: Re:

SEANSTEPHENS":3qfbh66v said:
Liking it so far mate, id splash a load of red anodised bits on it myself :cool: Those early trailblades arent easy to find nowadays, i remember buying a pair in 2008, and it took me a few months to actually find a set even then

Yeah I know. They also did the sidekick forks that were designed to go with the sidekick frame for trials use. Very similar but with curved blades. Not a fan of curved forks on a MTB personally. They never seem to look right.
Only issue with these forks is the steerer is a bit short at 175mm (which is odd for a fork that's never been used, there's no marks in the steerer from a star nut). The frame has a 110mm headtube so theres not much left for the stem and headset. It will be tight but I reckon I can make it work.

Re:

I've had an Azonic Shorty Delux in 75mm flavour in the parts pile for ages. It's in great condition but all my recent builds have either been too modern or lightweight XC style for it to be of any use. Its perfect for this build but the 45mm stack height is a bit of a problem. I'd of loved to fit an FSA Pig headset but the 31mm stack would mean that even without any spacers the steerer would end 11mm below the top of the stem which is well below the top pinch bolt and just generally sketchy!
I found this Acor headset on eBay for a tenner. Quality isn't the best but the stack is only 23mm so the steerer should sit at the regulation 3mm below the top of the stem.

dyju00a.jpg

Got the headset pressed in and built the front end up. Couldn't help throwing the cranks on as well. The axle seems massively long but I'll see how it rides before thinking about a shorter axle . Special guest appearance from Oreo the trail dog, she prefers more modern bikes because they go faster!

aMgOK8a.jpg

JhTdw0c.jpg

1cVDhs3.jpg

Re:

Right, seen as I'm on a roll with the build I want to get it on it's wheels as soon as possible so I can see how it sits. Back in the day I used to sit truing my chocolate Sun Ditchwitch rims for the thousandth time and dream of a pair of D521's so there was never any question that's what I was going to use. Shortly after buying the frame I found an eBay ad for a Hope pro2 front hub laced to a D521 that looked in great shape and had never been used with rim brakes. As an added bonus it came with a brand new never used spare rim. I managed to win the auction for £51 which I thought was a bloody bargain! The hub is not period correct but it has the right size axle and a disc mount so I can fit a front brake if required so it can stay.

xWO5xlP.jpg

nlFSCGU.jpg

dDiG3C7.jpg

Only problem I have now is my OCD is making the rear hub decision a nightmare. I have 2 to choose from in the parts pile.

A DMR revolver that is in keeping with the build and has wider flanges so will make a stronger wheel but is a little scruffy and won't match the front or a Hope pro2 single speed that matches the front but has a disc mount so doesn't match the frame......

qjisFao.jpg

Re:

So I decided to use the Revolver hub and sell the Hope to raise a few extra pennies for the build. Kid's are upstairs watching a DVD before bed, the wife is at work so I've cracked open the last of the Christmas beer, got some early 00's punk on the stereo and started building my wheel under Oreo's watchful eye! She wont be happy until it's true to within 0.5mm!

As a bonus, the spokes were free, my Grandad was a frame and wheel builder for Elswick Hopper and after retirement he did the wheel repairs for the local bike shops. When he passed we found at least 2000 spokes stashed away in his shed, the majority are 700c sizes but I had a rummage and found a box of nice double butted stainless spokes. They're not quite perfect but only around 1mm too short so should be fine. Does anyone else find building wheels both relaxing and also incredibly frustrating at the same time?

4JEYSGB.jpg

Does anyone else find building wheels both relaxing and also incredibly frustrating at the same time?
I find it very relaxing, love building a wheel. Unless you slowly realise the spokes are the wrong size, or you round a nipple doing a final tweak... then it's frustrating as hell.

Love this project BTW, I had one of the first trailstars, similar to this one but with euro BB.
I'd have been tempted to put a US BB on that frame with those cranks though, those bearings last forever!

BTW - you got a freewheel for that revolver hub?

stevet1":3801gruz said:
Does anyone else find building wheels both relaxing and also incredibly frustrating at the same time?
I find it very relaxing, love building a wheel. Unless you slowly realise the spokes are the wrong size, or you round a nipple doing a final tweak... then it's frustrating as hell.

Love this project BTW, I had one of the first trailstars, similar to this one but with euro BB.
I'd have been tempted to put a US BB on that frame with those cranks though, those bearings last forever!

BTW - you got a freewheel for that revolver hub?

Funnily enough I realised that the BB axle has the central bearing support machined onto it (not a separate spacer like you would expect) so the only way to remove the crank is to pull it off with a bearing puller. You cant just knock the axle through the other side. That would get boring very quick so a traditional US BMX BB and axle has been ordered. As for the freewheel, I found a good deal on a Halo Clickster so I've ordered one. Bet your going to say you've got a White Industries going cheap now aren't you!

Back