A step into the unknown MBK Pro Racer 11

Unlikely to be a French thread as MBK wanted to sell stuff rather than annoy people

The pic shows a race number tab too

Is there a whiff of cheese?

Think i read somewhere on something at sometime when researching that it most likely has a swiss bottom bracket but ive scrawled through so many pages ive forgotten more than i remembered

Was surfing some French forums earlier today, and thought about this thread and punched in MBK Pro Racer in the search.

From what I gathered, at least in the the mid-80s there were 3 top flight bike models - no compromise stuff - offered by MBK. This is where it get's beautiful, these were models that were built special order at the same place as the pro team bikes, and also in the offering was custom sizing and obviously all the available trimmings as options. Your frame is one of those. It's a bit like the Raleigh SBDU thing going on.

In '88 the MBK Fagor team also had big rider names, plus a bunch of Irish and Briits in the line-up. That may go some way in explaining how a French high end bike made it's way to the UK. I don't think your bike is pro team bike, but could have been for early season stuff. I think it's more likely whoever bought it initially in whatever country was a serious rider and shelled out a lot of hard cash BITD for something with a similar pedigree to what the pros had.

Someone keeps mentioning the number braze-on. For sure that was specified as an option when ordering. I have seen a similar MBK Pro Racer II on the French equivalent of gumtree, but the frame is different (with a pump peg, long Campag horizontal drop-outs) despite the same paint work and similar decals.

As for the BB being French, I'm prepared to wager it is with a virtual Lidl Pilsner on "that" thread ;)

Eitherway, you have a top notch retro race grade frame, and I'm sure it will ride great.

Was surfing some French forums earlier today, and thought about this thread and punched in MBK Pro Racer in the search.

From what I gathered, at least in the the mid-80s there were 3 top flight bike models - no compromise stuff - offered by MBK. This is where it get's beautiful, these were models that were built special order at the same place as the pro team bikes, and also in the offering was custom sizing and obviously all the available trimmings as options. Your frame is one of those. It's a bit like the Raleigh SBDU thing going on.

In '88 the MBK Fagor team also had big rider names, plus a bunch of Irish and Briits in the line-up. That may go some way in explaining how a French high end bike made it's way to the UK. I don't think your bike is pro team bike, but could have been for early season stuff. I think it's more likely whoever bought it initially in whatever country was a serious rider and shelled out a lot of hard cash BITD for something with a similar pedigree to what the pros had.

Someone keeps mentioning the number braze-on. For sure that was specified as an option when ordering. I have seen a similar MBK Pro Racer II on the French equivalent of gumtree, but the frame is different (with a pump peg, long Campag horizontal drop-outs) despite the same paint work and similar decals.

As for the BB being French, I'm prepared to wager it is with a virtual Lidl Pilsner on "that" thread ;)

Eitherway, you have a top notch retro race grade frame, and I'm sure it will ride great.
Thank-you very much for this information it's a great help, and helps me identify this gem of a frame

Last edited:
Weellllll isnt that nice!

Anyway, I still say English BB, heres my 198* Motobecane from when I could still get goodies from the tip with Campagnoloooooooooo

1657744170195.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Woz
:LOL:

Right, put your virtual drink money on the virtual drinking thread for some fun! Throw the gauntlet down.

We will have to stand back, drink, and let Siish get grubby and wrestle with BB while both of us virtually stand over his shoulder 😜

Last edited:
Ill let the big cheese get grubby and fight it at the gates gates gates ride, then if he breaks it hell owe me squillions of virtual beer tokens 🤣😆

• Haha
Reactions: Woz
Back