A step into the unknown MBK Pro Racer 11

Siish

Muddy Fox Fan
Feedback
View
I recently acquired a MBK road frame that someone was disposing off, whether it be ignorance or lack of knowledge road bikes haven't really been my thing, but something about this frame seems to tickle my fancy, 20220712_160127.jpg 20220712_160138.jpg 20220712_160156.jpg 20220712_160250.jpg 20220712_160256.jpg

I have spent a few hours on Google and can't really find too much info out there about what I currently own so hopefully someone somewhere can shed some light on what I have.

So far all I know (according to google) MBK is a sister brand to motobecane, and they make frames for different brands,
There is no stamped frame number, but it has an identification number which looks to be microdots on the down tube,

MBK PRO-RACER2
early dura-ace shimano front derailleur
Shimano 600 crankset
Campagnolo fluted seat post

I have no idea on age,spec, how many were produced, etc etc so any info to help with history will be gratefully received, and help with which direction I take with my new find

Thanks in advance, Keith 20220710_214755.jpg 20220711_193132.jpg

Attachments

• 20220710_214806.jpg
    20220710_214806.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
After a few more hours, I've just found a 1988 catalogue that has a pro-racer listed but unsure how relevant that

1988 would seem about right, would probably have come with the 600 tricolour group on it. The seat post is an early record from the late 70's as is the Dura ace front derailleur, the headset is a Stonglight A9. The bars and stem and saddle are pretty low rent items, the pedals are modern. Frame is probably built with Columbus tubing as iirc those were the tubes favoured by MBK (formerly Motobecane).

And there we have it. A stunning example of a quality usable frame, with what appears decent chromed forks, complete with a Campag Record post, and a smattering of high end Shimano bits too. Not to mention the cable guides on the down tube shifters which are also worth a pretty penny too. Great find!

If that is your start point for peanuts, it's worth dabbling in the road side just for kicks.

I had an mbk with a pierced 'GT style' seat tube. I never built it up and regret selling it in a weak moment for £65 (frame & fork only). The colour was just too 'loud' for me (fluro yellow and fluro orange) 😂. It was light for its kind ~1900g.

MBK_Trainer-4_1.jpg

1988 would seem about right, would probably have come with the 600 tricolour group on it. The seat post is an early record from the late 70's as is the Dura ace front derailleur, the headset is a Stonglight A9. The bars and stem and saddle are pretty low rent items, the pedals are modern. Frame is probably built with Columbus tubing as iirc those were the tubes favoured by MBK (formerly Motobecane).
Thank-you kermit, was it a normal thing for Motobecane/MBK to not stamp in frame numbers in those days or will is it liable to be hidden somewhere out of the ordinary?

And there we have it. A stunning example of a quality usable frame, with what appears decent chromed forks, complete with a Campag Record post, and a smattering of high end Shimano bits too. Not to mention the cable guides on the down tube shifters which are also worth a pretty penny too. Great find!

If that is your start point for peanuts, it's worth dabbling in the road side just for kicks.
Thanks woz, I have no idea what drew me to it, in a normal circumstances I would of walked straight past, I'm really happy with my find now, just need to work out if it had headset stem shifers or some type of brifters

Thanks woz, I have no idea what drew me to it, in a normal circumstances I would of walked straight past, I'm really happy with my find now, just need to work out if it had headset stem shifers or some type of brifters

Originally it most probably had downtube shifters. Later it got upgraded with handlebar brifters. The only clue to which brifters would be the cable guides on the downtube - the grey barrel adjuster looks like they would be Shimano. Dura-Ace if there is a little lever on DS.

https://www.cyclollector.com/gb/dow...ube-shifter-cable-stops-shimano-dura-ace.html

Back