A single speed question

I like 42:19 for general on off road riding/commuting, I live in hilly Midlothian and 32 or 28:16 for off road, dependent on hills. Glentress for me is 28:16 whilst Pollock Park Glasgow is less hilly and suits 32:16.

Check out a contour map of a given area prior to riding it then select the gear you need to set up. Like golf choose the right club for the job then get down to attacking the terrain.

Your fittness and the terrain dictates the SS gear you need, best go for caution initially !

Today, I went to watch the Cheddar MTB race, only saw three retro bikes but rest was latest modern bikes, and I saw one guy there with 'retrobike' jersey but riding a modern Specialized bike.

I also saw some single speed bikes there too, a few of them had two rear cogs with thin spacers between them, it's a first I have see this, any of you have tried running this way too?

I am still learning and thanks for all the tips.

Just a last question to ask on the final piece of jigsaw, which chain tensioner and rear cog with spacers do you recommend?, there is a few different ones out there but this is a first for me making a singlespeed and which one I should go for.

Thanks

Surly cogs are pretty good,although dear,and try putting it all together cos with the aid of a half link you may not need a tensioner,if you're lucky.

MJN":342hq9y6 said:
Surly cogs are pretty good,although dear,and try putting it all together cos with the aid of a half link you may not need a tensioner,if you're lucky.

I'd recommend Surly cogs too but they need the 'Wheels Manufacturing Single Speed Spacers', lots of different widths. Have a look on www.charliethebikemonger.com for all your singlespeed bits and bobs. He helped me out when I was first building one :D

I just bought a 16t DMR for the 40T chainring on my modern Identiti, was undergeared with 24" wheels, so now so far feels ok with 26" wheels, not got too offroad and hills but I'm gonna try this out for a bit, should be ideal for winter :D

I've got a tensioner, cog and spacers you can have cheaply to try it out if you want ;)

I'll have a look for them tomorow and if I can find them I'll pm you ;)

Cheers
Steve

I've found that, for me, a 2:1 ratio (32/16) is good for offroad due to the relatively flat terrain around here. On road I use a 48/18 and found that to be a happy medium. :D

Back