A single speed question

32/15 or 32/17 which you liked averages out to 32/16 (or 36/1:cool: of course (a 52" gear) - the old favourite for off-road as posted above. However, this is quite low for normal flat road use, especially if using road biased tyres - if you live in a very hilly area it may be OK but will be very spinny on any flats.

Don't fall into the trap of undergearing your bike. Singlespeeding is hard on the hills and many poeple go out for a first ride and think "bloody hell", but you soon get the legs for it. I was amazed how quickly my climbing improved when I started riding SS compared to geared.

Russell":1s9ivovb said:
Don't fall into the trap of undergearing your bike. Singlespeeding is hard on the hills and many poeple go out for a first ride and think "bloody hell", but you soon get the legs for it. I was amazed how quickly my climbing improved when I started riding SS compared to geared.

Agreed....38/16 works a treat for me. Mainly road including steep hills and not-too-hard off-road. Too low a gear and you'll just spin too much.

What tyres are you thinking about? Rolling resistance could have a factor too. FWIW my single speed is a 2:1 (34/17) and its slow on the tarmac and great on the offroad, tyres are a large off road type. Also don't mind it being slow cos that was a some of the point for me.

Yeah,offroad singlespeeding is just for fun,and it is great fun+no worrying about chainsuch,which gear your in,chainslap etc.I used to go to work on a singlespeed hack bike(not fixed,have enough trouble with that on the track!)and I had 53x15 on that,you really had to attack the hills though but on the flat in traffic it was perfect.

wow, great responses and thanks for them, very interesting read, at my home area yes there is a few hills to attack which I need to choose a reasonable gearing and not that bothered to go fast on flat, I am a cruiser! :) kaiser, I will def use mountain bike tyres not slicks, like to have some grip when going on loose surface. MJN, you must have thighs like a bodybuilder using 53x15 gearing, lol! :shock:

I use a 32:16 offroad then change wheelset and have a 32:14 for commuting (32:12 would be better but tensioner then slips .... )
Amazing what you can climb singlespeed with 32:16 and a sub 19lb bike.

Rich

I was going for a single speed but due to knee problems I run a 34t on the front and a 9 on the back. Works for me :D

Back