A not exactly correct Carlton Cobra

Re:

Hi new here. First post so hope maybe others can help.
I am trying to rebuild and re-furbish my old 1974 Carlton Cobra. Can anyone supply me with a full spec. Particularly interested in the wheel/hubs/tyre sizes and the rear cassette. Mine is a Ten speed model originally blue and chrome now with blue accrilichrome paint removed. Still has Sachs/Huret rear mech.
Also Chrome has light pitting and like me lacks a little luster hence the username. Re-chrome would be extortionate so any suggestions about maybe a paint respray job?
Thanks.

Hi - I think mine is mainly Weinman for handle bars, centrepull brakes and levers, simplex gears, weinman hubs/wheels (not really sure here), wrights / brooks B17 style saddle. Wheels would be 27 inch with amber wall tyres.
might be worth seeing if the chrome polishes / cleans up?

Others on this site may know better than me....I'm basing this on my memories from 40 years ago and a recent rebuild of my own! I also remember GB stem and short mudguards! I think the cranks were raleigh / carlton.....

Photos as mentioned.

Attachments

• AF791B5C-32D5-43E1-BCAA-5BEADA12FB55.jpeg
    AF791B5C-32D5-43E1-BCAA-5BEADA12FB55.jpeg
    253.8 KB · Views: 183
  • BCB0EEC8-9E67-40CF-9299-61315482788F.jpeg
    BCB0EEC8-9E67-40CF-9299-61315482788F.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 184
Hi back after a forced break due to other commitments. Re-build continued recently. All chrome Cobra frame re- polished using vinager and aluminium foil to remove some rust spots, chrome came up really well considering it’s age and the work I have put the bike through over the years, a credit to Carlton in 74. Mostly original parts all stripped, cleaned and replaced. A before and after photo attached. Who said road bikes can only run on the road! She acted as a mule for a 100 mile ride 90% off road on Bridleways and Byways around the Lake District in 2005, even went over Stake Pass from Langdales to Borrowdale with a lot of pushing a bit of lifting and not much riding. Now deserves a bit of love, care and attention. Originally a blue 10 speed version, front gears replaced for off road. May leave her all chrome rather than flash the original blue bits. ‘She’ is still a looker after nearly 45 years of use. Sorry to describe the bike as ‘her’ but my wife recons she is the real love of my life. Just about to replace the handlebar-tape with brown leather and a new set of decals. Then back to the glory days!
Treasured possession!

Sorry if photos came before the text submission.

Back