Carlton Chrome Frame query

Bocama short point professional lugs, top tube braze ons, brazed on rear brake bridge, seat stay cluster all sort of make me wonder about a Carlton Competition from the late 60's to the Early 70's. The Zeus dropouts are a bit left field though. Mind you even Raleigh were not immune to the shortages in the 70's

The frame numbering from 1968 to 1973 went a bit pants.....

I just read this from another thread. It seems some Competitions do have Zeus dropouts.

From KingComp

Only just joined the forum, so sorry it's a bit late.
I would say this is definitely a Carlton Competition, I can even see the fine Competition script on the crossbar panel.
I have a 1971/2 version that has chrome lugs and front and rear fork ends with Zeus Competicion drop outs.

Zeus Competition dropouts were quite flat and plate like, the OP's are Gran Sport IIRC which are more "forged" with the Zeus at the rear of the dropout.

Zeus 2000 dropouts had the Zeus and 2000 logo at the top and were thinner.

I still think it's a Carleton Competition but with the more expensive Gran Sport dropouts.

I must say I am pleased that my recent find has led to so much discussion. It seems that Carltons were quite a mixed bag by all accounts.

On another forum I came across a bike which bears more than a passing resemblance to this bike: the Raleigh Gran(d) Sport(s). Perhaps there was a Carlton equivalent?

Owner says it's a '73. Dropouts look to be Zeus Competition:

daka's 73.jpg

Speaking of dropouts, the eyelets on the OP's bike look different from the original Gran Sport items. It looks to be brazed-on afterwards:

IMG_9236.JPG

Colour me confused ...

On another forum I came across a bike which bears more than a passing resemblance to this bike: the Raleigh Gran(d) Sport(s). Perhaps there was a Carlton equivalent?

Owner says it's a '73. Dropouts look to be Zeus Competition:

View attachment 798280

Speaking of dropouts, the eyelets on the OP's bike look different from the original Gran Sport items. It looks to be brazed-on afterwards:

View attachment 798281

Colour me confused ...
Looking at that frame, I would say that it is almost identical to mine. The lugs, the forks, the braze ons on the top tube, all looks right.

Whatever it turns out to be exactly, you seem to have a very nice frame. 👍

Given the geometry of the TI bikes of that era, I suspect this would make an excellent randonneur.

Latest posts

Back