A bit of a project - 30 year old Cannondale 46er

mrkawasaki":1x1guy6t said:
Will get the serial - it's in the lock up so may take a week. I run a 26" rear and I'm thinking that maybe on gate-sized frames this was the norm (not the 24" of the catalogue?). Otherwise when did the 26/26" kick in - after this old style logo version I have I'm sure...

I'm guessing a 1986 SM500. It had 26" wheels and rollercams F&R. Lets see some more pics when you get it out of storage :)

Re:

Hi!

New to the forum, saw the project bike and thought of sharing a picture of its cousin from Colorado. I am really enjoying this bike, it took me a while to find one on my size, actually with its geometry the best riding size for one is that fitting a bit too close to the jewels. As you, I got a pair of black rims from an '85 SM600, I does takes away some of the retro look, but I'm happy with the outcome, specially since is my daily commuter and it sports new hardpack tires.

Hope your paint comes right!
[URL=http://s128.photobucket.com/us...SM-500/84SM50022inch_sm_zps6ef542ee.jpg[/img][/url]

Re:

That looks to be in very nice condition :cool:

Re:

I would say, the paint on your frame is perhaps better than on mine, I did cover up about 14 chips with the closest car paint I was able to find, an exact match would be great, it still has a fair amount of clear which is scratch in parts. I appreciate the quality components on this bike. The bottom bracket and hubs have sealed bearings, so you don't worry much about those. The BB is a Suntour Vx (adjusting ring on both side to adjust the chain line), three are for sale now on that place and they are one the scarce side . The bullmoose bars on mine are pristine, perhaps thanks to a fortunate accident; in Cat-eye model 300 end caps the metal part that forces the plastic to expand is of a corrosion sensitive metal that took all the corrosion away from the bar. You have the Suntour LeTech FD which is difficult to find, deep it in Bar keeper's friend or a similar low acidity cleaner for a couple of hours and it should get rid of the rust. I'm on the look for the original grips, but I doubt they feel as nice as Ritchey's true grips(foam). Mine has the rear caliper brake, I just change the brake cable and housing and re-routed it as a good as I could, next I'll be replacing the soft comfort pads for something with more grip, with these the brakes will lock, I'm happy with the modulation. Your brake set up is rare, I'm curios on how those work. I will like replace the chain rings on the crank for a 48, 38, 28 combo since I won't be climbing a 14'er with mine and will like a bit more speed on the road. Let me know if you need any information.

Cheers

Re:

Hopefully this is not too much information already ;) . I do wonder about serial codes on these bikes. Perhaps the fist two digits indicate the built month, specially since Cannondale was so specific after 1986, or maybe its just a straight production number. If the first, then there's fewer of these hand-built bikes around, making yours No. 785 built of February '84; mine starts with 03. A fact supporting this date coding is that the original wheels on mine have the assembly date written on pencil in addition to the date code stamped outside the rim (March 2 1984 and November 24, 1983, respectively). I have only seen serials starting in 02, 03, 04, and 07. Thus, production could be as high as 4,000 bikes based on the first code but as high as 8,000 with the later.

Re:

Thanks for the replies :)

My rear brake is an Odyssey Pitbull BMX brake. It bolts through the seat stay bridge. You can get them on eBay but they are pretty pricey. I plan to use an adaptor plate on the seat stay bridge so that I can mount a rollercam.

mrkawasaki":aaee8c5u said:
Will get the serial - it's in the lock up so may take a week. I run a 26" rear and I'm thinking that maybe on gate-sized frames this was the norm (not the 24" of the catalogue?). Otherwise when did the 26/26" kick in - after this old style logo version I have I'm sure...

My serial number is 20111485117 - does that make it 1985??

mrkawasaki":2orfs03z said:
mrkawasaki":2orfs03z said:

My serial number is 20111485117 - does that make it 1985??

I would interpret that as a 20" frame made on November 14th 1985, number 117 in that run. A 1986 SM500 I would say. The SM600 and SM500 were 26"x26" that year whilst the SM700 was a 26"x24".

Back