98 Steel Rockhopper Comp

Re: Newbie 98 Steel Rockhopper Comp

Ah its a usable good bike though. Yeah mine is an abandoned rat look bike. Its on here somewhere. Will start a thread at some point when I start playing with rust.

Ah that looks nice.

Some of the modern finishing gear looks great on late 90's bike. I think that looks super.

This is looking great. The heart of the bike is retro, the new kit looks great, loving it

Cheers Guy's! Good to know people like what I'm doing!! :D :D

I've been looking for some new folks for a while and came across some cheap 01 Marzocchi Bomber Air folks on eBay looking a bit sorry for themselves but in full working order.

I've been really unsure what to put on the bike, part from really wanting an air folk. After looking at loads of options I thought I'd keep some Bombers on after the current pair being on the bike so about 15 years and working perfectly!

Quite a difference when up close against each other.

All the graphics have been striped and the folks touched up and plenty of Autosol on the crown!! If they work well I like the feel then I'll probably get them resprayed.

Attachments

• IMAG1006.jpg
    IMAG1006.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 894
  • IMAG1007.jpg
    IMAG1007.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 894
  • $(KGrHqJHJFcFIMr7)M6-BSJ4nWO!7w~~60_12.JPG
    $(KGrHqJHJFcFIMr7)M6-BSJ4nWO!7w~~60_12.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 894
98 Steel Rockhopper Comp - Nearly finished

Had a busy few months with buying a new house and Christmas so didn't have much bike time since my last update! :facepalm:
However after after finally getting settled in I have managed to finish off adding all the parts I have collected over the last few months.

The XTR V brakes seem to work a treat with far more feel that the previous dia comp / XT setup.
With the XTR rear mech, I picked up a new 9 speed Shimano deore cassette new from Merlin and a SRAM prolink chain.

The XTR front mech that came with the job lot off eBay unfortunately doesn't fit as its a top swing effort so will be looking to sell this on soon. Shifting wise the 9 speed set up and XTR mech is much smoother, chaining gears really cleanly.

After cleaning up the Bombers and fitting them to the bike I've only had a few rides out but the rebound is horrible :shock: As soon as any weight is taken off the front they bounce up hard and you can hear a bang when the forks are fully extended again. I've had a quick look on the Marzocchi website and it looks like these are adjustable. Would be great if anyone has any experience with these???

Anyway here's a few pics of the nearly finished bike! :D

Attachments

• IMG_0022 (800x600) (2).jpg
    IMG_0022 (800x600) (2).jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 844
  • IMG_0017 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_0017 (800x600).jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 844
  • IMG_0019 (600x800).jpg
    IMG_0019 (600x800).jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 844
  • IMG_0005 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_0005 (800x600).jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 844
  • IMG_0008 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_0008 (800x600).jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 844

Some nice kit on there now, reckon it's a rewarding spritely ride. Nice one.
Brakes a lot better then?

Niiiice, I had a 98 Rockhopper years ago for riding trials. The guy at JE James was adamant he wasn't going to sell me a 13" frame as it was too small for me. Sadly I snapped it but would do anything for another (13" that is!)

Thanks reanimation! Yeah the brakes do feel better, just a little more feel that the previous set up.

The Bombers unfortunately arn't letting me fully enjoy the upgrades so a strip down and adjustment will be sorted as soon as possible.

Haha isitafax, bet that was a rare beast in a size 13"!!!

Image19.jpg

I do like this but worry it must handle a bit strange as the front end is so high with the new bombers?

Back