'97 Kilauea 20" inbound.

Yeah a Z2 is my preference. I bought one a while ago thru this forum for another build, but unfortunately it requires some serious work that the seller didn't tell me about. When I unboxed it, the internals were rattling around! 🙄
I'm definitely planning to run a bouncy fork, as all my previous retro resto builds have been fully rigid.
Will have to see if the steerer is long enough for this frame. It's red, however, so not the colour I'd want. Might be best to see if it's easily fixable and move it on. Find one that suits the frame better.
I did enquire with Mark in the USA a while back... Hmmm. Funds are tight though.

Yeah a Z2 is my preference. I bought one a while ago thru this forum for another build, but unfortunately it requires some serious work that the seller didn't tell me about. When I unboxed it, the internals were rattling around! 🙄
I'm definitely planning to run a bouncy fork, as all my previous retro resto builds have been fully rigid.
Will have to see if the steerer is long enough for this frame. It's red, however, so not the colour I'd want. Might be best to see if it's easily fixable and move it on. Find one that suits the frame better.
I did enquire with Mark in the USA a while back... Hmmm. Funds are tight though.
I've bought one fork from him and had his service another. Top notch snd a good selection of colours and models etc. As you said its not cheap, however.

Yeah I nearly bought a rather special one from him, for my Pahoehoe build, but the rigid pace rc31 ti, fell into my lap... Worked out pretty well in the end.
If he's still got the Z2 I was chatting to him about, I would be sorely tempted to get that ordered.
I wonder how much kidneys sell for these days?

Well, I finally got it home, then managed to find time to wash it yesterday and start checking it over.
Unfortunately, I noticed that the seatstay has started to separate from the seat tube.
Furthermore, there was a load of leccy tape wrapped around the chainstay and when I turned it upside down I noticed that it must be covering up some kind of repair.

Absolute

Horror

Show.

The seller had seemed like a decent chap through the comms I had with him, so I messaged him. He's already sorted me out with a refund. He'd bought it to refurb, but never touched it.

It's basically junk.

IMG_20220618_122242.jpg IMG_20220618_105421.jpg IMG_20220618_105427.jpg IMG_20220618_121126.jpg IMG_20220618_121146.jpg IMG_20220618_121157.jpg IMG_20220618_121535.jpg

Thats a shame, unusual to see on a steel Kona too, though the repair makes it look a lot worse :oops:

Back