'97 Kilauea 20" inbound.

albash82

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
So, this one will be a slow burner.
I wasn't looking for another project. I'd even removed all my eBay saved searches as I promised myself to stop.
I just happened to search eBay for Kona Kilauea, I think my fingers now just automatically navigate my phone in that direction every now and then...
I've been wanting a 20" Kilauea for years and the '97 was near the top of the pile...
This popped up immediately. I thought, "bugger it, I'll bid" so I bid, even though I'd not even checked how long was left on the auction, didn't look at the pictures, or the location.
The spec is pretty poor.
Can't pick it up until early June.
Screenshot_20220424-213011__01__01.jpg
What shall I do with it?
I'm not going to take it to catalogue spec, that's for sure.

So, this one will be a slow burner.
I wasn't looking for another project. I'd even removed all my eBay saved searches as I promised myself to stop.
I just happened to search eBay for Kona Kilauea, I think my fingers now just automatically navigate my phone in that direction every now and then...
I've been wanting a 20" Kilauea for years and the '97 was near the top of the pile...
This popped up immediately. I thought, "bugger it, I'll bid" so I bid, even though I'd not even checked how long was left on the auction, didn't look at the pictures, or the location.
The spec is pretty poor.
Can't pick it up until early June.
View attachment 621931
What shall I do with it?
I'm not going to take it to catalogue spec, that's for sure.

- straight / flat bars
- Flite saddle
- better drivetrain (looks like an altus monstrosity)
- SPD pedals.
- gumwalls

- straight / flat bars
- Flite saddle
- better drivetrain (looks like an altus monstrosity)
- SPD pedals.
- gumwalls
-Flatbars eh... Have to see if that works out with my horrendous flexibility, but I like the idea.
-Flite would be nice, have to see if one crops up in budget, which is super low.
-Spd/flats see how I feel on the day of the ride generally. I do clip in mostly.
-Gumwalls. Generally, I'd be 100% in agreement. But for this frame, I've a certain wheelset in mind and think blackwalls will better suit.

Just remembered I've got some Middleburn cranks that I acquired off a colleague last year. Might try singlespeed and see how long I last.
Alternatively those M950 cranks I never used would also suit it well....

So, I had one and it looked amazing. I couldn't get on with it as a rigid and I reckon with the right fork up front it'll do the business. It's a compliant, safe ride, not the slightly edgy, exhilarating ride the Explosif has.

I had a 97 special edition with the bomber. Really enjoyed it but was unfortunately a size too small for me. I would suggest a Z2 if you go that route.

As Al mentioned it is not nearly as direct or stiff as the explosif but looks great with the thin tubes and rides great as well.

Back