97 GT Lightning build thread

Re: Re:

d8mok":38p12w50 said:
I’ve had many sets of Hope (still have several bikes with them now ) and yes they are great in terms of durability but aren’t they heavy compared to XTR?

Not had great experiences with DT and kings are too bling to for the build.

Pawl engagement on xtr is the same as on an lx hub and they break. I am talking the 950/951 gen. They were cheap when i bought them. I have a Hugi wheelset and it´s lighter, solid, better. DT 350 is affordable. White industries hubs are sweet: beautifull, light w/ tight engagement. Otoh if you just want lightweight xtr is ok.

Re:

So I’ve almost got all my parts together now. Still waiting on forks and need to sort some other bars that are wider but I’ve started to look at weights.

What interesting is I’ve got a full XTR m952 group ready to fit now and it’s cost a bit to buy for sure but it’s not much lighter than XT M739.

To give a comparison , using the same digital kitchen scales there is 129 grams difference. The XT is 8 speed opposed to 9 speed XTR but it’s barely worth it

Weights are below. First one is XTR and XT second. I’m not saying these are gospel as scales aren’t calibrated but both weighed at same time. The XT group has a STI combined brake and gear lever.

Rear mech - 236 -249
Front mech - 111- 132
Shifters - 256 - N/A
Levers - 167 - 368
V brakes - 404 - 416
Chainset - 677 - 687
BB - 211 - 251
Cassette - 225 - 313
Skewers - 118 -118

Total 2405 - 2534

Re:

Managed to pay slightly over the odds for some wheels so I’m semi good to go soon. Still got to sort my seatpost situation out but apart from that it should be built sometime this month as away currently.

d8mok":93obu6wk said:
So I’ve almost got all my parts together now. Still waiting on forks and need to sort some other bars that are wider but I’ve started to look at weights.

What interesting is I’ve got a full XTR m952 group ready to fit now and it’s cost a bit to buy for sure but it’s not much lighter than XT M739.

To give a comparison , using the same digital kitchen scales there is 129 grams difference. The XT is 8 speed opposed to 9 speed XTR but it’s barely worth it

Weights are below. First one is XTR and XT second. I’m not saying these are gospel as scales aren’t calibrated but both weighed at same time. The XT group has a STI combined brake and gear lever.

Rear mech - 236 -249
Front mech - 111- 132
Shifters - 256 - N/A
Levers - 167 - 368
V brakes - 404 - 416
Chainset - 677 - 687
BB - 211 - 251
Cassette - 225 - 313
Skewers - 118 -118

Total 2405 - 2534

m900 is heavier than m737 from about the same vintage. At some point it was not about weight but stiffness, gear ratios and bearings instead of bushings.
Counting grams on a mtb is kind of silly when the fastest tire for your trails can weigh 150 grs more than the slowest.
XTR is far better than XT and far better looking. 9sp is better than 8.

Re:

So I’m almost there now. Need to set things up and get a chain but it’s nearlly done.

Weight is 9.59kg without cables , chain or pedals.

Got some XTR pedals , XTR cables and still need chain

I’m not going to get under 10kg am I

Re:

So it’s built and it’s ...... 9.96kg without pedals but fully built apart from that. So it’ll be about 10.2kg I reckon with some XTR spds.

I could probably get it under the 10kg mark but it’s all period correct , fully rideable , and no carbon at all so I’m happy with end result

Re:

10.35kg it’s ended up at. Inc bottle cage , pedals etc.

Still not finished as I need some wider bars and I’d like some green wildgrippers too.

d8mok said:
10.35kg it’s ended up at. Inc bottle cage , pedals etc.

Still not finished as I need some wider bars and I’d like some green wildgrippers too.

Maybe the xtr "brifter" is lighter than separate brake lever and shifter.

Back