'96 Kona Lava Dome - Single Speed Conversion.

Aloha,

Am just a few days back from the World SS Championships after a great weekend of MTBing up in the hills & trails of Ballyhoura.
Great mix of single-speed nuts from all nations pushing it to the max on both bike and at the bar.

Serious mix of equipment on show ranging from old single-speed Ralaighs to 32" wheeled Ti Jones framed specials.

Anyways; the Lava Dome as it currently stands is essentially complete although I may consider a dropping the original Curve cantis for some XT, or similar, V-Brakes if a set comes along at a reasonable price.
Having said that some proper time spent setting the Curves up would probably be as beneficial.

Attachments

• Kona Front End [800x600].jpg
    Kona Front End [800x600].jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 1,043
The Kona did attract quite a bit of attention during the course of the weekend both during the race and at the campsite.
One particular guy had cycled over from Swansea on his later 90's single-speeded Kona carrying his gear & tent on a carrier which he removed for the race. He was trying to scrounge a lift back to Rosslare ferry port when he ambled over for a look.
Quite a few cheers of "KONA" during the race, indicative of the respect or fondness many seem to have for these bikes.

Attachments

• Kona R'End [800x600].jpg
    Kona R'End [800x600].jpg
    120 KB · Views: 1,037
I had tweaked the old rear XT derailer but couldn't eliminate the chain jumping when giving her some stick. Eventually I chucked the derailer and just shortened the chain as much as possible, problem solved.
No more slippage and the chain only came off twice but, in fairness, this was only when I was walking the bike up hills.
I may have a closer look at the flywheel and apply some fresh oil to the pawels as the cranks tend to spin while the bike is walked.
Nothing I'd be concerned about, in fact I was happy enough as on both occasions I had the assistance of a couple Canadian lassies whom I'd been "unable" to get past.

Currently its running 32/18. I'd gotten 14, 16 & 18 tooth cogs to play about with but with me only getting back into cycling I went with the easy option.
It was more than enough for all assents encountered with only the engine behind the bike necessitating an ocassional walk uphill.

The only time it was undergeared was on one particularly steep decent during which the brakes were firmly applied so again more is currently not required.
Again the limiting factor being yours truly.

Attachments

• Kona W'Fall [800x600].jpg
    Kona W'Fall [800x600].jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 1,037
Originally the plan was to carry out a basic clean up of the bike & up rate the transmission components.
The reason behind the single-speed conversion was simply to facilitate me entering the race and taking part in the festival but having used it both over the race weekend and afterwards I'm well on the way to being a covert and leaving the gears for the road & touring bikes.

Attachments

• Kona Hillside View [800x600].jpg
    Kona Hillside View [800x600].jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 1,034
In regards to the Curve brakes most Konas featured on the forum seem to have had these dropped in favor of alternative options.
From others experience what is the general option of the OE Curve brakes?

I've seen a set of Magura hydraulic rim brakes on offer at a reasonable price. These are something I've no experience of at all, whats the general option of these brake systems?

Thanks All!

Both my other half and I run maguras on all our bikes, and I love them. Amazing stopping power, easily comparable to mechanical discs, if not better.

I have 2 sets of HS33s and Mrs BCM has HS11s.

Lovely looking Kona by the way.

coomber":w3i3ffjn said:
Interesting and good photos.

Just singlespeeding a zaskar at the moment for cost savings. However, I have problems with the chain slipping, despite a new front chainring. Wonder if its the rear cog or too much chain.

Looking forward to seeing this built up.

Oh, and I had a 2007 cindercone which was similar colour and used humbrol enamel paint from a model shop as touch up. Not a great match but looked ok.

I have a ss giant, and i am using a chain tensioner, i found that even with the device it has to be run pretty super tight or it still slips.. take out another link if you can, and see what happens, it soved my slipping problem :)

cocodemer":m6sdp6wm said:
coomber":m6sdp6wm said:
Interesting and good photos.

Just singlespeeding a zaskar at the moment for cost savings. However, I have problems with the chain slipping, despite a new front chainring. Wonder if its the rear cog or too much chain.

Looking forward to seeing this built up.

Oh, and I had a 2007 cindercone which was similar colour and used humbrol enamel paint from a model shop as touch up. Not a great match but looked ok.

I have a ss giant, and i am using a chain tensioner, i found that even with the device it has to be run pretty super tight or it still slips.. take out another link if you can, and see what happens, it soved my slipping problem :)

Yep, have taken out quite a few links now so it is pretty tight, and tensioner makes it even more so, and working a dream. Hard work though, but my fitness is terrible and Im running something weird like a 36/19 ratio.

Back