'96 Kona Lava Dome - Single Speed Conversion.

As mentioned above I'm single-speeding the bike for competition purposes so I'd to sort out a conversion kit.
The modifications & necessary components sourced for the bike has to be done on the cheap.
The basic criteria for items bought is that they are amongst the cheapest options on CRC or similar, and come with a 4 or 5 star rating.
Alternatively they may be items cannibalized from other bikes, parts lying 'round or sourced from the local bike shop.

The Firewire single-speed was sourced from CRC accompanied by a new shimano 7-speed chain. The chain-wheel is the original 32 tooth middle ring rather than a purpose designed SS chain-wheel.

Fortunately both wheels were straight as a die with no apparent wear or damage and only required a good clean & polish before introducing them to their new rubber wear.

The conversion kit looks to be of decent enough quality, considering it's €16 cost, however it's lock-ring don't look the best but may be replaced with the original Shimano item after initial test flights.

Attachments

• Single Speed Conversion [800x600].jpg
    Single Speed Conversion [800x600].jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 859
The bottom bracket was not too bad but there was some coarseness in its movement so a suitable cartridge Shimano BB was sourced from the LBS which'll be popped in soon.

The original pedals were creaking away so into the bin they went. I sourced some El Cheapo replacement pedals from the LBS. Once the crank-arms were given the spit & polish treatment they were introduced to each other and seem to be getting along fine so far.
I might however replace these with the Shimano clipless SPD pedals of one of my other bikes so I can use my shoes for the actual competition.

Very little wear on the chain-ring so, once given a good soak & clean in diesel, back on it goes.

Attachments

• Crank Arms & Pedals.jpg
    Crank Arms & Pedals.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 855
Only real hiccup encountered so far was during the removal of the head-set.

While the other hex-head screws in the frame, bottle cage & carrier/rack mounting screws, were fairly corroded they came out surprisingly easily.
I'd been generously soaking everything in WD-40 since acquiring the bike and this combined with the quality of the original components helped, I'm sure, in shifting them.

Unfortunately the smaller diameter screw found within the head-set lock-ring sheared when I was trying to gently tease it out.
With the lock-ring encouraged off I then found the head-set cup refusing to shift.
Many applications of WD-40 over three or four days with as many frustrating attempts to walk the thing out all came to nothing.
Finally after wasting loads of time and losing the rag I revved up the Dremel and cut a slot in the collar of the cup weakening it sufficiently for it to snap under pressure.

As requested above, can anyone recommend a suitable replacement please?

Attachments

• Headset 2.jpg
    Headset 2.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 838
Interesting and good photos.

Just singlespeeding a zaskar at the moment for cost savings. However, I have problems with the chain slipping, despite a new front chainring. Wonder if its the rear cog or too much chain.

Looking forward to seeing this built up.

Oh, and I had a 2007 cindercone which was similar colour and used humbrol enamel paint from a model shop as touch up. Not a great match but looked ok.

Popped the BB into the frame this afternoon.
No hassles encountered, was generous with the coppaslip due to lessons learned in the past.

Got another threaded headset from the LBS but like the previous headset it too is looking like it's too generously proportioned to suit the Kona.

Attachments

• BB Installation [800x600].jpg
    BB Installation [800x600].jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 790
Few things done since the last post.

Original headset & brake components are due back from the machine shop shortly so hopefully I can reclaim the original headset top and retain the original cantilever brakes.
Various new components should be here by weeks end, bar ends, cables & an 18t cog to broaden the gear options.

Otherwise the bike is at a rolling chassis stage with various cleaning & polishing having taken place.
Looking like a bike again rather than a couple of boxes of bits & pieces although it has been somewhat neglected due to waiting for the above items and I've been distracted somewhat by some decent swell finally rolling in after a summer of mush & onshore North Westerlies.

The event which the bike is been prepared for is on Sat 27th so next week will be busy so fingers crossed everything arrives when they should.

Attachments

• Rolling Chassis [800x600].jpg
    Rolling Chassis [800x600].jpg
    114 KB · Views: 972
Bit of progress with the various parts arriving today.
Nice to be able to retire to the shed knowing that all the parts needed were at hand, well nearly all.

Few nuts & bolts still required which I'll source tomorrow and adjust the brakes.
Hopefully that'll allow me to use Weds & Thursday to do a couple of shake down rides before loading her into the van and heading South for the single-speed event on Saturday.
That hedge might even get cut before I go though thats unlikely.

Proper details to follow when time allows.
Thanks for the positive comments guys!

Attachments

• Kona & Principia [800x600].jpg
    Kona & Principia [800x600].jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 896
Back