'95 Bontrager Privateer , NOW FINISHED ! ! !

Re: '95 Bontrager Privateer Update , part 1

Happy wet Sunday , one and all :roll: glad I got out yesterday before it chucked it down ;)

Been tinkering with my bits this week , but have little to report as a result . The wheels came , so I stripped 'em down and cleaned 'em up .
Note the close proximity of the kettle :LOL: I like my tea :roll:
Hubs bodies and axles turned out to be in good condition , as did the rims , with plenty of life left in them . The only headache turned out to be the spokes holding them together . The drive side ones had been introduced to the chain at some point , or two :facepalm:
Easy enough job I thought . Take one out , measure , get some more to put in . Only snag was , the original spokes were 1.8-1.6 double butted , as opposed to the normal 2.0-1.8 , and these have red ano nipples . Looked high and low for some of the smaller spokes , but without any luck :facepalm: so ended up getting bigger nipples (make your own jokes up ).So the wheels are back together , along with the Charge tyres they came with . Have to say , they look bloody massive for 2.1s !
Got a couple of options for the forks , some Orange F7s , and a pair of R/S Judys . I put a seatpost and saddle from another bike on , along with the chainset and pedals , so I could get an idea of the riding position .
Really wanted to use the Titec seatpost that came with the frame , but there would be 20mm below the min. insert line showing , which is a bit risky I think , so I'm on the lookout for a 400mm one now . Does anyone know if they made them that long ? :?
I always wanted to try it rigid , and it feels like it will be ok , despite my fears that it will be too low at the front . Anyway , here's a couple of pictures of roughly how she is going to look . as oppposed to
Thanks for looking ;)

Mike

Attachments

• worktop workshop.jpg
    worktop workshop.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 616
  • shyte spokes.jpg
    shyte spokes.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 615
  • Bonty F7s.jpg
    Bonty F7s.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 616
  • Bonty judys.jpg
    Bonty judys.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 616
Re: '95 Bontrager Privateer

Thanks ,

I do like the look of it with Judys , and with a sensible stem ( that's a 140 road stem in the photo) and maybe some spacers under it , it would look good .
I just got a Bontrager stem for it too . Same finish as the Titec seatpost , which is slightly too short :facepalm:
Or maybe I can get away with it :?

Mike

Cheers , Paul seems to be shaping up nicely.
Thanks Coomber , never used Judy's before . Still undecided about which way to go . However , I am getting the rigids powder coated the same colour as the frame , also going to get the cranks re-finished too

Evening all ,

Got the computer for an hour , thanks to Call The Midwife ! :LOL: :LOL:

Finally got some movement on my Bonty , having been sent odd length cranks , and a local re finishers that were not vey reassuring . Although the work they did , turned out ok :cool:
Going for a black LX build , found some cranks in 175mm , both of them :facepalm: , and had these refinished along with getting the forks matched to the frame . Gil_m made up some crank transfers , cheers mate ;) and I lacquered over them . I'm not naive enough to think the finish will last but I wanted them to look good to start with . I fitted them both this weekend .
Hope you like it so far ;)

Loaded and fitted . . .

Mike

Attachments

• bonty progress 2.jpg
    bonty progress 2.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 536
  • bonty chainset.jpg
    bonty chainset.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 536
  • bonty progress.jpg
    bonty progress.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 536

shinobi":2l1pg15n said:
Hi Mike
Thats shaping up really well , great colour combo :D

Paul
Cheers Paul , hoping it will be worth the wait !
Mike

Re: '95 Bontrager Privateer . Update no 1

Hi mate
its gonna be good , a frame that nice cant fail to be a winner :D

Paul

Back