93 Zaskar in the shop

Proto2000

Retro Guru
Just picked this up from the original owner in San Francisco, as you can see it was "upgraded" through the years. She bought the bike new when she was still in high school, saved all of her money to buy it. I have stripped it down and looking at going for new stickers vs leaving the originals alone, not sure. My guess is it's a 93 with the serial number and stamped 6061 and 16 on the non drive dropout. I had one years ago but it was in such poor condition I traded it for another bike, don't remember what it was LOL. 3 bikes needing to get some parts for now, I am punishing myself...
BB is toast as is the headset, owner used it at Burning Man every year she went and advertised it that way which I thought was odd because it's a Zaskar! And that reminds me, the other one I had was picked up there from a pile of bikes that people leave behind, crazy. $30 well spent.

Attachments

• 0106231523_HDR.jpg
    0106231523_HDR.jpg
    661 KB · Views: 128
  • 0107231045_HDR.jpg
    0107231045_HDR.jpg
    533.7 KB · Views: 121
  • 0107231045.jpg
    0107231045.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 125
August 93 stamp would mean a 93 model year. However the 93 MY had the rivot type cable guide under the triple triangle and this has the 94 style but is a high number in the run

One thing I’ve learnt is GT did what they wanted in terms of production in the early days so could be stickered as a 93 or 94 and be correct IMO

My 95 frame is stamped 0994****. Fames made late in the year were often built and sold as the next model year.

Yes I’m aware. It varied from sept - nov for the following year.

However I’m talking about decals. I’m saying the cable stops are different and it’s a high numbered frame so it’s a late 93 MY but with the changes for 94.

That's good to know, number does indicate 93 but with 94 updates. Any turmoil if I remove the ugly sticker kit (bad shape) and purchase a set from Gil to spruce it up a bit? Frame has some scratches and a very small ding on top tube that will not be able to fix so thinking of fill and move sticker a bit to cover. Needs a great polish job which I can handle with time. I try to leave bikes alone unless you cannot tell what brand or model and the real bad stickers are Zaskar ones, rest are ok.

Rounded up a pile of M900 parts I had stashed away so looks like the direction I will go with this. I do have a wheelset and a headset somewhere, just need to find them. Still undecided about new sticker kit, old ones look very bad but they are original to the frame. Fork is the biggie at this point, may have to go with the lower version rigid for now unless someone has one they want to trade for parts or sell.

Attachments

• 0110231025_HDR.jpg
    0110231025_HDR.jpg
    575.5 KB · Views: 28
You sure they original decals?

Admittedly I’m not as hot on the 93/4 models but they look blue and don’t remember that and nothing in the brochures?

Plus the OE ones tend not to crack like that. And they look wonky.

Anyway I’d still replace with new but I’d go for the 94 style.

I did find these but not sure if these were copied from original or made up for someone, similar to what's on the bike. The woman I bought the bike from surely didn't seem the type to add new stickers, most of the parts were swapped out over the years and lower quality than what the bike would have come with.

Internet search:
1994-GT-ZASKAR-LE-custom-blue%C2%A0-DECAL-SET.webp

Mine:

1673384455356.jpeg

Just been looking a bit further and none of the Europe based brochures have them that I can see.

But I bet the US had different decals as we didn’t see as many of the options across here in terms of colours and tech shop bits.

Those decals are similar but not the right colour though if you going for the same.

Back