Gentle progress today on the build 🤓

NOS USE Atom carbon bars
NOS M901 XTR calipers
Almost NOS XTR M900 cranks - rings sourced from another set
M901 XTR rear mech
M901 Front mech
XT thumbies
Ritchey Brake levers
Borrowed wheels from my GT Bravado until I can get what I want for it (Hope hubs/Mavic 230 Tib rims)
USE seat pin - re-spayed Matt black
Flite Ti re-issue saddle - on route
Chain to be sourced wow 😮 how expensive is an HG91 🤪
BB currently UN52 but thinking I’ll source something lighter for sure maybe a Royce
contemplating NOS XT Shark fin ?
Contemplating NOS Tioga brake tamers (grips)

Attachments

• IMG_9615.jpeg
    IMG_9615.jpeg
    653.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_9614.jpeg
    IMG_9614.jpeg
    801.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_9618.jpeg
    IMG_9618.jpeg
    525.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I have to say that re-spray looks top notch!! 👌🏼
When acquiring my 93 Cindercone my first choice was to get it Fully resprayed and resource new decals.
I myself contacted Gil,but it turned out the exact match wasn't possible.
For example...The "Designed by Joe Murray" font was more fat looking and also the purple colour around the Kona writing looked more on the blue side.
I,like you wanted A Perfect painted brand new looking 93 Kona bike ...kind of like the feeling I had when buying it from new.
After a lot of to and throwing I decided to keep to original and managed to find a brilliant shop in Portsmouth who made me up a perfect pair of touch ups Green and silver .
The Decals on mine were near on perfect but any ones that needed attention....I just spent hours with fine paint pens and outlined the black parts of font and filled it in with matching colour.
To be honest it wasn't much to do....but still very painstaking 🤪
If anyone knows if there is someone out there who does an exact match for 93 spec Konas I'd like to see them.

I've Always loved the "93" Kona range and would love to create an off the shelf respray replica one day.

I have to say....your Kilauea is a truly stunning bike and that was the bike I always wanted back in 92 when I saw the range come out.... however I just couldn't afford it so had the Cindercone.
So now that is the bike that holds so much nostalgia for me as the Cindercone took me on my first real journey in the mountain biking world. The Kilauea was the fish that got away for me.... Stunning mind. ♥️

Ian.

Last edited:
Back