93 Kona Kilauea full restoration

A few shots of the frame and P2 forks, I am gonna fit the P2’s as the Mag21’s are 10mm shorter in the steerer tube 😜

Attachments

• IMG_9141.jpeg
    IMG_9141.jpeg
    803.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_9144.jpeg
    IMG_9144.jpeg
    315 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_9143.jpeg
    IMG_9143.jpeg
    885.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9142.jpeg
    IMG_9142.jpeg
    914.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9145.jpeg
    IMG_9145.jpeg
    902.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9147.jpeg
    IMG_9147.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
Cracked on a little bit more this afternoon with the re-build.

Parts I need:

XTR M900 f,mech - WIP
Bars TBS (25.4) has anyone got some nice uncut Ti bars?
Bottom Bracket - M900 TBS
Seat-post I did a quick re-spray Matt black on the rough USE one that came with the bike but I’m not convinced a 25+year old seat-post is a great idea so I’m tempted by a new Thomson one
Wheels - I have loads of DX wheel sets but yeh I’m keeping with the M900 theme I’m gonna try and source some XTR M900 hubs on Mavic 230TIB rims

IMG_9149.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9148.jpeg
    IMG_9148.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9151.jpeg
    IMG_9151.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
When you insanely expensive, how much for the respray?. Contemplating getting my 1992 Kilauea done but will be less complicated as all black.

The Decals came via Gil who told me this

*I'm not sure why they did this, the '93 model was made of Prestige tubing and used a standard down tube decal, but then they did a run of Ultimate tubing frames and used the "venetian blind" down tube decal, your frame appears to be the Prestige tubing with the wrong downtube decal

I've attached a catalogue photo of the '93 model and also the Ultimate tubing "fluted" down tube decal, technically the eBay one is wrong*

Hence the change to decal, I’m not an expert in Kona history despite having spent a couple of years racing for them. 😜

Not sure what that means exactly. The Kilauea used a Concept tubeset, the original decal is the blue Prestige Concept decal like the one below. The '93 Explosif had the futted down tube and used the Ultimate tubeset with the Ultrastrong flutted down tube. Second decal below is the '93 Explosif decal and next to that the changed '94 Explosif decal.

kila2.JPG td1.JPG td2.jpg

Not sure what that means exactly. The Kilauea used a Concept tubeset, the original decal is the blue Prestige Concept decal like the one below. The '93 Explosif had the futted down tube and used the Ultimate tubeset with the Ultrastrong flutted down tube. Second decal below is the '93 Explosif decal and next to that the changed '94 Explosif decal.

View attachment 783757View attachment 783758View attachment 783759
I’m not sure either lol 😂 this was Gil’s reply when I questioned it…

Hi,

I'm not sure why they did this, the '93 model was made of Prestige tubing and used a standard down tube decal, but then they did a run of Ultimate tubing frames and used the "venetian blind" down tube decal, your frame appears to be the Prestige tubing with the wrong downtube decal

I've attached a catalogue photo of the '93 model and also the Ultimate tubing "fluted" down tube decal, technically the eBay one is wrong

I’m not sure either lol 😂 this was Gil’s reply when I questioned it…

Hi,

I'm not sure why they did this, the '93 model was made of Prestige tubing and used a standard down tube decal, but then they did a run of Ultimate tubing frames and used the "venetian blind" down tube decal, your frame appears to be the Prestige tubing with the wrong downtube decal

I've attached a catalogue photo of the '93 model and also the Ultimate tubing "fluted" down tube decal, technically the eBay one is wrong

That is the same reply you posted earlier :LOL:

Let me try to clear this up. Is the picture in the first post of this thread the ebay picture? if so that is the right decal. Is the decal you have on the frame at the moment the one Gil sent you? if so it is the wrong decal!

You currently have an Ultimate Ultrastrong decal on the frame, yes? An Ultimate Ultrastrong tube is fluted, like in the picture below, some call it ridged, and has prominent ridges down its length, as found on the Explosif and Hot of that year. The Kilauea does not have an Ultrastrong tube as the downtube.

Personally I would contact Gil and try to sort the correct decal.

fd.jpeg

That is the same reply you posted earlier :LOL:

Let me try to clear this up. Is the picture in the first post of this thread the ebay picture? if so that is the right decal. Is the decal you have on the frame at the moment the one Gil sent you? if so it is the wrong decal!

You currently have an Ultimate Ultrastrong decal on the frame, yes? An Ultimate Ultrastrong tube is fluted, like in the picture below, some call it ridged, and has prominent ridges down its length, as found on the Explosif and Hot of that year. The Kilauea does not have an Ultrastrong tube as the downtube.

Personally I would contact Gil and try to sort the correct decal.

View attachment 783834
Ah ha, wish I’d known that earlier as all
The decals are under the lacquer 🫣 yeh I just out my trust in Gil knowing

Back