93 Kona Kilauea full restoration

Bergy

Retro Guru
So I recently acquired a this 93 Kona frame set, the paint is super rough and with my intention to make this my dream bike from when I was 15/16 I’m having a full respray done by Argos in Bristol O.E colour with decals by Gill. I’m tempted whilst this is being done to have seat clamp done away with and a clamp welded into frame along with cable guide for rear brake rather than use the bolt on bits Kona did what’s your thoughts?

Intended spec will be M900 XTR possibly with the addition of Mag 21’s

Attachments

• IMG_8099.jpeg
    IMG_8099.jpeg
    526.5 KB · Views: 46
Nice frame. I personally think the silver seat clamp and dog collar for 93 models look really good - very unobtrusive. I prefer those to the welded seat clamp and noodle - which was used on the very early models.

I’m tempted whilst this is being done to have seat clamp done away with and a clamp welded into frame along with cable guide for rear brake rather than use the bolt on bits Kona did what’s your thoughts?
100 percent OE bolt on seat clamp and dog collar.

I have to agree with the previous two posts, I’d keep the seat clamp and dog collar. Personally I’d also keep the P2 forks. Looking forward to seeing the finished bike, I’m sure it will look great in its new coat of paint.

Ok so little update on the Kona, it’s now back from Argos in Bristol and I’ve started to clean the parts I intend to use that it came with and asses what I need. I’ve trial put the Mag21’s to see how it looks? The new paint was insanely expensive (P2’s and Velocity stem also done). I can’t make my mind up do I keep the heavy Kona impacted headset or upgrade it to something more pimp?

Attachments

• IMG_9101.jpeg
    IMG_9101.jpeg
    617.3 KB · Views: 39
Would like to see more pics of the paint job. Did they recreate the finish or just go for a flat colour match?

Why did you choose the Ultimate decal over the Concept original?

I’ll get some more pics up soon, Argos have done a fantastic job of rr-creating the O.E paint scheme which was not cheap but I felt well worth it.

The Decals came via Gil who told me this

*I'm not sure why they did this, the '93 model was made of Prestige tubing and used a standard down tube decal, but then they did a run of Ultimate tubing frames and used the "venetian blind" down tube decal, your frame appears to be the Prestige tubing with the wrong downtube decal

I've attached a catalogue photo of the '93 model and also the Ultimate tubing "fluted" down tube decal, technically the eBay one is wrong*

Hence the change to decal, I’m not an expert in Kona history despite having spent a couple of years racing for them. 😜

Back