'91 Karakoram

GT

Cheers Crayon, I might end up going down that route... I love Flites but they don't feel "quite" right on the Kara, and I think Turbos are ugly :D

Latest incarnation

I'm settled with it as shown here - not really period but I like it...

Attachments

• 91 Kara.jpg
    91 Kara.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 2,721
not a lot wrong with that m8

have a look out for wtb saddles the ssk is a good retro shape and GT
compatable

A friend of mine used to have one of these BITD. I remember it weighing an absolute ton, but in saying that it always rode nice. :cool: :cool: :cool:

GT-Steve":29tpamoe said:
A friend of mine used to have one of these BITD. I remember it weighing an absolute ton, but in saying that it always rode nice. :cool: :cool: :cool:

You sure it wasn't an Outpost? They did that in the same paint scheme one year

nope ;) Definitely 100% a Karakoram ;) identcal paint scheme and everything - my memory aint that bad, yet!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

T'was the back-end (with the u-brake) that was pretty hefty :oops: this led to amazing levels of grip in boggy conditions :cool: :cool:

Thanks Mikee

the saddles a Selle San Marco Titanio - just so damn comfy & lighter than a flite too - I figure I'll run with it.

GT-Steve ref the weight - I had a 20in one of these in '92 which I raced every week - as I'm only 5'8" it was clearly a poor decision & i remember when I bought my '93 Kona Explosif that I reckoned the Kara must have weighed twice as much. Maybe not quite but it certainly was damn heavy you are right. I'll get it on the scales & post a figure in due course. But I just love the colour & still think the triple triangle looks cool!

gotta love a karakoram

sure, they're a touch on the heavier steel side but they take some knocks and when you point them somewhere, they get going, no messing

Did they change the karakoram frame as the years went on ? My 97 yellow one is currrently running at 26lbs.

Ok so it has a set of slicks on, but currrently is is getting equal use between it and the Zaskar. And I reckon the karakoram is more comfy as well

yeah i guess the tubesets would have changed over the years - along with wider use of butting and suspension geometry / groove tube mods etc. I just weighed it & it's 27lb - not as bad as I'd thought actually. I also just weighed my 93 Explosif - it's 21.8lb which is more than I'd thought. I'm clearly just an appalling judge of weight!

Back