'91 Cannondale SM800 Beast of The East (new pics 13-8-08)

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
The last SM 800, before it became "M800"...
For the saddle, put a classic flite ;).
For the stem : I love the decal with the lizard (salamander ?) : It was a cannondale logo for mtb in 1991 (it was on clothes...)

What is that thats on it an avocet? Did you get ritcheys from this era?

kaiser":3keelqq4 said:
What is that thats on it an avocet? Did you get ritcheys from this era?

Yep, it's an Avocet "something" W20.

The Richeys are the original Vantage Comp (the almost gone stickers say so), at least I think so. The hubs are certainley original.

I just regreased all the bearings yesterday's.
And only from the rear hub on one side the bearing balls need to be changed.

The only thing I haven't regreased is the bottom Bracket, but I'm not sure if it is possible to take it appart and regrease it.

Another question:

I find it (compared to modern systems) very difficult to adjust the rear derry so that all the gears run silent. Is this normal for these old systems?

Greetings,

Herman

Here some updates picture's.

I changed the tires, no worry I'm gonna keep the Porcupines.
Changed the saddle, for the time being a modern saddle marked Cannondale but doesn't look to bad in my opinion.

Touched up most of the scratches, only trouble is finding the neon/orange paint for the decals.

Attachments

• side view.jpg
    side view.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 1,090
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 1,090
Keep this new saddle away !!!!! :shock:

utahdog2003":3dqdhwe0 said:
Too old for a Flite...needs a Turbo.
A flite is always a good answer : the first flite (grey) were sold in the end of 1990, and in the beginning of 1991. The bike was sold with the avocet if I remember…

For the gearing… change all the cable and (sleeve ?).
If you have "push push "-STI system, change for "thumbshifter". The STI system has never work…

;)

24pouces":2e2vute4 said:
Keep this new saddle away !!!!! :shock:

I'm looking for a better saddle, but not willing to pay half the price I payed for the complete bike.

utahdog2003":2e2vute4 said:
Too old for a Flite...needs a Turbo.
A flite is always a good answer : the first flite (grey) were sold in the end of 1990, and in the beginning of 1991. The bike was sold with the avocet if I remember…

For the gearing… change all the cable and (sleeve ?).
If you have "push push "-STI system, change for "thumbshifter". The STI system has never work…

;)

Regarding the gearing, I noticed that the last curve near the rear derailleur is the troublemaker. The cable makes a rather short loop there. But when I look at the pictures from the bike in the '91 catalogue it looks the same there. The cables are in a really good shape, so for the time being I see no point in changing them.

And yes it has the push-push shifters and you are right the are not nice to work with.
But for now I want to keep it as orginal as possible, Maybe I'm gonna change the rear gear cable, and make a longer loop at the bottom.

Thanks for the tips.

Greetings,

Herman

Really nice SM800 you've got there mate!
My buddy had a similar one BITD but it was stolen in 1992.
Definitely one of my favourite bikes back then.

Back