90's Hybrid/Cross bike thread.

Re: Zolatone/Hammerite

randomdan":ppmzdon8 said:
AH1F":ppmzdon8 said:
I'd be really interested in seeing any pictures of the areas you have done with the Hammerite.

Done this today.. and it's turned out VERY well, I can vouch for grey hammerite stonechip paint - massive improvement to the finish (and now it makes the decals look tatty instead of the paint).

I think I might have to consider starting a build thread as I don't want to be a threadjack and this is just turning into a saga.....

Now, where should that build thread go. MTB or Road??? :facepalm:

No thread jacking at all, completely on topic, these make great Townie builds

Re: Zolatone/Hammerite

Bicycle Addict":1kg1fcge said:
No thread jacking aylt all, completely on topic, these make great Townie builds

Thanks - it's a really interesting thread, and the it's great read. There's not much mention of these early hybrids on retrobike and not actually much info anywhere on the interwebs - but this thread covers the range really nicely.

I'm expecting my rebuild process might be a bit .. um.. picture heavy so I've started a Rebuild thread over in MTBs, but I'll definitley post up the cleaned up bike in this thread when I'm finally done.

Updated paint...
20160326_090247_zpscp6xcsa1.jpg

First time browsing this site, and I'm glad to see some love for the 90's cross bikes – my favorite topic.
Cross bikes represent what bikes should be: fast, light, sturdy, comfortable, and utilitarian. I use mine for urban exploring, paved trail, grocery-getting, and off-road detours. I buy them off CL for an average $60, and fix them up to fit my 6'2", 50+year physique. Since many frames are size-limited at 22", my protocol is to replace the seat, handlebars, stems, pedals, tires and grips to make them more comfortable. If necessary, I'll replace cables, brakes and shifters. I care little for premium parts, so if it ain't broke, I don't fix it. For starters, here's my '90 Bianchi Boardwalk. I had a little fun musing on the white paint theme.

Attachments

• Bianchi Web4.jpg
    Bianchi Web4.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 1,291
  • Bianchi Web5.jpg
    Bianchi Web5.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,291
  • Bianchi Web3.jpg
    Bianchi Web3.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 1,293
Here's a few others that share the garage and workload with the Bianchi. They're quite similar, but different tires, riser handlebars and sprung saddles makes each a unique ride. I switched components between bikes until I found the perfect fit.

Attachments

• Miyata Cross Web1.jpg
    Miyata Cross Web1.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 1,282
  • Maroon CR Web1.jpg
    Maroon CR Web1.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 1,282
  • Blue CR Web1.jpg
    Blue CR Web1.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 1,282
  • Silver CR Web1.jpg
    Silver CR Web1.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 1,283
Re:

My 1994 Cannondale H800 is turning out be a real gem of a daily ride.

I'll confess that now I'm looking for a 1996 version with headshock.

I'm also planning to chuck some cross tyres on it and use it for C2C in s couple of weeks.

Nice.

I've parted company with the Saulsato, it was a nice ride - but one of my work coleagues had a 80 mile charity ride to do, borrowed it then and brought it from me afterwards! - ah well, space for something else to tinker with now...

20160416_153210_zpscanvw4np.jpg

20160416_153436_zpsjmuq0frf.jpg

Re:

So I drank the early 90's hybrid kool aid and picked this up from CraigsList yesterday. I wanted something for the road that could run fat tires and this was much cheaper than the new frames on the market. It looks like a 91 and is made with Miyata's own brand of spline triple butted cromo (or however you describe it). I'm planning on a drop bar randoish build eventually and possibly a recoating. I'm not super fond of the colour and there are a lot of chips in the powdercoat. My friend's father has a sand blaster and paint gun so this may be a recoating project. Initially I'm going to build it up with a flat bar and mountain bike bits to see if I like it. If I do it will get drops, bar ends, and lots of shiny polished bits.

I'm thinking of putting a build thread somewhere, but not sure if this belongs here or over in road.

Attachments

• small sized frame.jpg
    small sized frame.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 978
marc two tone":9etybukk said:
I get hassled alot by a couple of mate for liking these bikes . .

700C bikes are rarely slagged off but, well over-looked as an all-round bike. Some of the bikes have slender forks making for limited tyre choice, if you want to go off road. Having said that, most cyclo-cross tyres of 35-42 will see you right for most wooded trails and suchlike.

I have a '94 stinson that is nearly ready to roll but, still musing on tyre choice. Apart from wheel, tyres and tubes everything else is just ATB stuff bolted on, so therefore sustainable for me as i have plenty of that equipment and, easy to obtain.

AND, i have found it very frustrating (before this project) when looking for retro new old stock rims on the market places for my MTB's only to find a pair cheap and tasty, to then find they are 700c ! No good back then, but now perfectly good. ;)

So, as we look back to hybrid offerings of the 90's we are effectively looking forward as most mountainbikes seem to have 700c tyres. The whole thing has gone full circle.

I have no image to throw up yet, so will do asap.

cheers.

+1 here, I use my Cannondale H800 to commute on tarmac in the morning and through the woods on the way home.

I'm looking for a pair of 700 rims (or wheels) to replace the worn our rear. Ritchey vantage comp on LX hubs currently but not too fussy.

What about trying some of these new box section rims like a Velo Orange Diagnale

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/ ... -rims.html

or the H Plus Son TB14

http://hplusson.com/node/15

I'd love to build a pair of 700C wheels for my bike with either of those. I actually saw an amazing deal on the TB14's with modern 105 hubs online recently.

Twister":3ve1dror said:
marc two tone":3ve1dror said:
I get hassled alot by a couple of mate for liking these bikes . .

700C bikes are rarely slagged off but, well over-looked as an all-round bike. Some of the bikes have slender forks making for limited tyre choice, if you want to go off road. Having said that, most cyclo-cross tyres of 35-42 will see you right for most wooded trails and suchlike.

I have a '94 stinson that is nearly ready to roll but, still musing on tyre choice. Apart from wheel, tyres and tubes everything else is just ATB stuff bolted on, so therefore sustainable for me as i have plenty of that equipment and, easy to obtain.

AND, i have found it very frustrating (before this project) when looking for retro new old stock rims on the market places for my MTB's only to find a pair cheap and tasty, to then find they are 700c ! No good back then, but now perfectly good. ;)

So, as we look back to hybrid offerings of the 90's we are effectively looking forward as most mountainbikes seem to have 700c tyres. The whole thing has gone full circle.

I have no image to throw up yet, so will do asap.

cheers.

+1 here, I use my Cannondale H800 to commute on tarmac in the morning and through the woods on the way home.

I'm looking for a pair of 700 rims (or wheels) to replace the worn our rear. Ritchey vantage comp on LX hubs currently but not too fussy.

Latest posts

Back