89 Saracen Kili Flyer Comp (fillet-brazed full prestige!)

Re:

Yep with a bit of luck I should find time tomorrow to put it all together!

Hadn't noticed the kili being any slacker though it certainly looks it in the last photo - a trick of the camera I think.

They ride very similarly in many ways but the kili is lighter and very slightly bigger so while the trekker is definitely not quite big enough the kili seems to be, just about, though I've only done short rides. The handling is similar - very responsive, particularly for an 80s bike, but the kili has just a little more zing.

I like my old oversized 80s beasts but this is more like a 90s speed machine, but with a little more character. My lightest and nicest riding Bike for a quick dash is my 93 KHS Montana pro so I'm lookingforwforward to riding them in quick succession to compare. I'm expecting more character but without the out and out shit off a shovel velocity - a good compromise in my view :cool:

Re: Re:

xxnick1975":33cam3l8 said:
Stanny might know, he's also in Brighton, you two should have a Saracen festival!

Haha yeah, hopefully he'll be along soon with some wisdom.

Re:

After a painstaking and prolonged search I managed to pull together all the original kit, right down to the colour coded reflectors (might leave them off) ;-)
DSC_2965_zpse3b72fc0.jpg

I was told sometime ago the only UK handbuilt Saracens were the early Reynolds frames (I had an '87 Kili Flyer) and that later frames were all made in Taiwan and had the components added to the frames in the Wariwck factory. This is how they achieved the handbuilt in the UK status. Still Taiwan seems to produce some decent Prestige frames, like my Muddyfox Prestige Comp and this too.

Carl.

I'll double check with my dad but I think these frames were Taiwanese made, definitely powder coated in Birmingham and then assembled in Leamington Spa before moving to Warwick shortly after.

Yes in Brighton too, got seven Saracen Conquests here... Let's catch up!

stanny":cmzjrm92 said:
I'll double check with my dad but I think these frames were Taiwanese made, definitely powder coated in Birmingham and then assembled in Leamington Spa before moving to Warwick shortly after.

Yes in Brighton too, got seven Saracen Conquests here... Let's catch up!

just the seven!!! :cool:

Back