'89 Cinder Cone twins in need of cosmetic surgery!

RAFbikes":2cx20k35 said:
The dilemma really is I don't like doing something unless I can make it perfect but it'd seem a shame to get rid of the original paint and transfers.

What do you think?

Give them the clean from heaven, then make the call. To me, under that grime, they look very sound indeed. Since the paintwork was original per frame it seems a shame to lose it (even though you'd make your own original).

Apparently one of these was the first Kona Cinder Cone to be imported and the actual one tested by Bicycle Action magazine in 1989, if anyone has a copy of that magazine I'd be interested.

Most of the original parts are present although some will need replacing and the rest will need extreme TLC, the parts I'm going to need to make these completely original are Kona Equilibrium tyres, saddles, pedals and one Ukai rim, so if any of you 'orrible lot has any of the above let me know.

Staf.

RAFbikes":14wy02zm said:
:LOL: Yeah might need a chain, possibly some new bearings! :LOL:

Still they were a bargain at £36.11 for the pair! :shock: unsure how far to go with them I had intended to strip them back to the metal then recreate the original paint work and get some repro transfers but they're not really that bad.

The dilemma really is I don't like doing something unless I can make it perfect but it'd seem a shame to get rid of the original paint and transfers.

What do you think?

Staf.

drop one off if you are passing...?

Cool pick-up!

I agree with the others that with a little elbow grease you'd be fine. Make one set with the nicest stuff, and then make yourself a rainy grime-time bike with the other!

do it man...

i would say refinish, its worth doing, i refinished both my original Tbg Cindercone, that i raced, followed by my tbg explosif, that was bought to replace it. Im sure others will agree, when i say they are great to ride.

I Had real problems sourcing decals, so ended up doing them myself, no one had them on file.

if theres anything i can do, just shout.

Attachments

• the_g_on_the_word_group_isnt_quite_right_142.jpg
    the_g_on_the_word_group_isnt_quite_right_142.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,778
  • applying_the_clear_coat_139.jpg
    applying_the_clear_coat_139.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 1,778
  • now_just_clear_coat_122.jpg
    now_just_clear_coat_122.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,778
  • now_just_splatter_189.jpg
    now_just_splatter_189.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,778
the finished bike

as it was now, refinished...!!! and as original as it was bitd. :D

Attachments

• finished_133.jpg
    finished_133.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 635
the cone

tbg cindercone..finished.

Attachments

• 005a_111.jpg
    005a_111.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 633
Sinnerman you little beauti! PM on it's way.

I must admit I'm more inclined to completely refinish them, one needs it for sure and if I'm doing one I may as well do both!

........pm sent, heres a better pic of the tbg cindercone for you.

the nice part of the splatter tbgs, you can really go wrong with the paint, as you have probably seen with yours, no two were the same... :cool:

Attachments

• 201.JPG
    201.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 577
  • 202kuy.JPG
    202kuy.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 577
Cool, splatter will be fun to re-create and the seatposts are a bugger to find but will build up into splendid bikes. :cool:

Back