A tired old Cinder Cone

minor_LEGEND

Senior Retro Guru
I'd like y'all to meet my recently saved 91 Kona Cinder Cone I rescued from it's original owner.
She's in need of a lot of love, tired paint, seriously rusted forks & neglected mechanicals. It was repeatedly listed on ebay, but no doubt failing to sell due to the seller not willing to send it. I managed to settle on a price via messages & coincided a trip up North with my friend Adrian who was also collecting a Cinder Cone for himself an hour further up North from this one, also sourced on ebay.
I knew it could be a risk of rusty proportions but though 'what the hell', I've wanted a Cinder Cone in this Green/Gold colourway for some time now.

Enough chat, here's a few pics when I got her home.

Showing the state of the paint (or lack of) on the forks.

I spent the evening in the garage with my new purchase, with some adjustments, one gear inner cable & cutting the old grips away like stale liquorice (yuck) I had her rideable, though it was pretty rough. The chain had been rusted solid & the ageing Suntour XC LTD transmission isn't quite like the Dura Ace I usually ride.

Anyway that satisfies my curiosity that she's deserves some Love. It's currently stripped,, I've blasted the forks & velocity stem & etch primed them. The forks will need some high-build primer on a few areas. I've received the new transfers from Gil. I've also been looking into powder coat colours but don't think I'll be able to get anywhere close enough to the original colour so it's looking like a wet-paint respray.

I'm hoping to bring her to the Malverns Classic event in about 3 weeks time, so yet again after last years rush to complete my Prestige, I'll have my work cut out.

Huge respect on getting those forks back into action, they look terrible ;) Can’t wait to see them painted and looking good again.

Back