86 Muddy Fox Courier project

You'll be pleased to know Nick that the Panaracer's have had it. :LOL: Side walls have collapsed from the bike sitting on them for so long.... they are destined for the nearest landfill, er recycling centre.

Not sure what to put on to be honest. Any suggestions? The originals were amber walled Ibex (I think)...

jameshurrell":nmsfjp0k said:
Not sure what to put on to be honest. Any suggestions? The originals were amber walled Ibex (I think)...

Hi thanks for the tip about the frame sticker for my courier the other day!
The sticker came up pretty good.

Your project is looking good, too.
About the tyre, after looking through amber/open wall tyres with square-ish pattern, Japanese make and cheap, I ended up with IRC Mythos.

http://www.bikeplus.co.uk/cgi-bin/quiks ... iliate_id=

May not be perfect for tarmac but if XC is the main, it seemed to have good review on web but I am no expert so I am not sure.
I just decided to go for it as the price of 2 for £10 +pp £3.5 is hard to beat ;)

Hope your powder coating turns out nice!

Thanks the kind words and for the tip ref. the tyres, they certainly look interesting and good value...

I've PM'd you ref. your quest for hubs! :)

Original tyres on the 87 were Panaracer Ibex II. So could well have been Ibex on the 86. Or maybe there wasn't a 1 and they started on II's.

:D

Ok, so I'm back...! This is a bit of a "holy thread revival", but three children later :shock:, I've now returned to the MF.... The frame/forks is going off to Bournes in Birmingham next week, and I have sourced some additional bits. The bike may be rideable before the end of the year.... just in time for its 30th Birthday.

Wheels/hubs

I found a wheelset on eBay recently - Mavic 236s paired with some mid 90s Shimano STX Parallax hubs (130 OLD on the rear). I know that this is not period correct in any way and it is also using Shimano, but I have not really had time to try and source some equivalent rims/hubs. The original rims are so battered that there is no real point in trying to resurrect them, although I have held on to them in case I suddenly have lots of extra time to devote! The Mavics are in great condition though and I have always lusted after them...

Photos soon.

Headset

This is where I'm stuck somewhat. The original is in very poor condition and although I suppose with time and effort it could be restored, I'm wondering if anyone knows what I could use instead? Is there anything "new" that would fit? It is is a threaded steerer and I assume 1" diameter. Any advice appreciated.

Well its been a journey for you :LOL: & I'm glad you returned. The original headset should have been Epoch Mori self adjusting headset http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281703186573? ... EBIDX%3AIT just make sure you read the instructions, if you don't it may not self adjust :facepalm: .

Did you manage to get the Tange tubing decals reproduced ?.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
iscervo":2900r8i7 said:
Well its been a journey for you :LOL: & I'm glad you returned. The original headset should have been Epoch Mori self adjusting headset http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281703186573? ... EBIDX%3AIT just make sure you read the instructions, if you don't it may not self adjust :facepalm: .

Did you manage to get the Tange tubing decals reproduced ?.

Yes some journey! Can't quite believe it is 6 years since I last posted... yikes.

And OMG this forum is amazing - thanks so much for that tip about the original headset - I think I will go for it. At least I will know it ought to fit and will look correct. I remember them being a bit fiddly though - mine was constantly going loose when I was regularly riding it as a teenager and it annoyed me a lot. Edit - so the self-adjusting mechanism had probably bust...

As to the Tange sticker, no sadly not. I have the other decals from Gil_M, but not this elusive purpley pink one. I'm going to keep searching though, or maybe even reproduce it myself (!!) - although don't hold your breath as that may take another 6 years. :LOL:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Small world, I'm in Shrewsbury

I've got an 88 Explorer I'm looking to rebuild. I've been looking for somewhere I can get it painted or coated (not very hard admittedly) - I'll give Bourne's a ring on monday. The Explorer is a pearl yellow so not sure if they'll be able to reproduce it in powder coat- but I can ask.

Good luck with the build, maybe we'll have to have a Shropshire Muddy Fox meet. :D

Re: Re:

cherrybomb":jdqccwcb said:
Small world, I'm in Shrewsbury

I've got an 88 Explorer I'm looking to rebuild. I've been looking for somewhere I can get it painted or coated (not very hard admittedly) - I'll give Bourne's a ring on monday. The Explorer is a pearl yellow so not sure if they'll be able to reproduce it in powder coat- but I can ask.

Good luck with the build, maybe we'll have to have a Shropshire Muddy Fox meet. :D

Small world, I'm in Shrewsbury too! Yes try them - they replied to my emails and seemed OK. £50 for shot blast/powder coat and they will mask threads/ steerer/brake bosses etc for no extra charge - I specifically asked about this and whether I needed to do anything myself. 2-3 day turnaround. They have the RAL 9003 in stock - but it's a run of the mill colour I guess. There are others around Shropshire - a few in Telford, but none of them seemed to want to bother with bike frames, just large industrial stuff.

I'm taking mine on Tuesday leaving just after 9am. I'd be happy to take yours if you can get it ready by Monday eve. If not, i'll be going back again to pick it up, probably week after. Let me know if you need it taking.

Edit: yes to a Shropshire MF meet up (one the thing is back working!)

Re:

Hi if it is of any help, please use it. Below is C&P from my own post 6 years ago;

The two stickers on the rim are home made on adhesive vinyl sheet. Scan or trace the existing ones in Photoshop then printed with colour laser printer and finished with clear urethan lacquer. I have made Tange sticker with this method and looking pretty good.

You can buy A4 glossy adhesive vinyl on ebay. You will need to try many times to match the colour but its worth it.

Attachments

• Tange2.jpg
    Tange2.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 485
Back