84/85 Dawes Ranger

I'm not being mean. I'm just saying that even for me, with my sense of idiocy and lack of style, I could discern that there was something fundamentally wrong with this bike. A major factor in this is the wheelbase. GJW pointed out something about the straight stay design leading to the issue.

Other than that it is what it is. With my Ranger build, I spent money on a powder coat, decals, cranks etc and enjoyed the process. Even though I ended up with a bike of little worth that I moved on. That's what we're here for. I hope you take my words in the spirit that they are shared. That of cheerful exaggerated comment based on my experience of this particular cycle.

Enjoy the ride............

Yes that's a metaphor.

Re:

i had a Countryman - bike that is.. Same as yours more or less. I liked it for plodding about on, not a great return for your pedaling efforts but comfy and charming.
Keep up the bike slandering though folks, so I can buy it off the OP for minimal pounds ;)

Did you get anywhere with this?

I've had a frame knocking about for ages, I rather cruelly parted it out on here years ago... but have recently been thinking about building it back up again...

I never really off-roaded mine, only messed about on it around town. A friend set it up as a tourer and did the Rievers route on it (I was on my Ozark). I have fond (and vivid) memories of how it felt to ride - very stable and planted, if not exactly quick.

Original spec had heavy wheels, non-indexed shifters - all a bit clunky. I fancy giving it another chance...

bluetomgold":1cmsuafy said:

I've had a frame knocking about for ages, I rather cruelly parted it out on here years ago... but have recently been thinking about building it back up again...

I never really off-roaded mine, only messed about on it around town. A friend set it up as a tourer and did the Rievers route on it (I was on my Ozark). I have fond (and vivid) memories of how it felt to ride - very stable and planted, if not exactly quick.

Original spec had heavy wheels, non-indexed shifters - all a bit clunky. I fancy giving it another chance...

Tbh it got shelved very soon after the start of the thread, not because of the bike itself... more to the fact I had far too much other stuff going on. I should probably shift it on really as it is taking up space....and lots of it!

Loved my Dawes Ranger back in the 90s. Pretty much the only bike until recently which felt like it actually fit me - due in part to the layback saddle.

Racin'snake":33ack4r7 said:
bluetomgold":33ack4r7 said:

Tbh it got shelved very soon after the start of the thread, not because of the bike itself... more to the fact I had far too much other stuff going on. I should probably shift it on really as it is taking up space....and lots of it!

Let me know if you decide to move it on I might be interested...

Spibblo":38j1xgwj said:
Racin'snake":38j1xgwj said:
bluetomgold":38j1xgwj said:

Let me know if you decide to move it on I might be interested...
Yeah its for sale!

Back