6 bikes added to the garage suddenly, Kona and Scott

Ok the other Konas frame numbers aside the Cinder Cone. inside the ( ) is location

Koa, (left side of BB as the Niihau) H5K06045 ,Just realised its a Aluminium frame! :shock:
Lava Dome (cross the BB) H6K0 9582
Fire Mountain (cross te BB) H6K1 2562

Any ideas of the scott, were to find some info?

Re:

H as above means Hodaka
The five and the six mean the year I was glued together. The next part means something as does the next... No idea what but month will be one of them no doubt.

great buy/find and interesting story behind. (shop dont want to repair/sell them)

how comes, that 2/3 of the bikes are Kona's ?

if you want to get rid of the 96 bikes / framesets, give me a shout :)

magas":2qv0ck2p said:
great buy/find and interesting story behind. (shop dont want to repair/sell them)

how comes, that 2/3 of the bikes are Kona's ?

if you want to get rid of the 96 bikes / framesets, give me a shout :)

The shop has moved from a bike work shop to one that just sell parts, mostly NOS/NIB parts and he is just busy doing that (buying old stock from shops and sell them then). I was there to collect some NOS parts and saw the bikes, and the rest you know. Shop still has some but in not as good condission (missing many parts or wheels), aside one Mongonese he didnt want to sell. How 5 out of 6 was Kona, just hapen. Actually there was 7 bikes, but one was a newer GT youngster bike (Agressor) whit 24" wheels and V-Brakes...

I keep you in mind if so hapens the frames/bikes end up for sale :D

Some updates.
The Cinder Cones frame number: F1084166
So a late 1991 or a 1991 made frame for 1992? In the 1992 cataloge the CinderCone is red and has still SunTour parts, but the 1992 LavaDome is blue like mine CinderCone and has LX parts like mine, aside shifters that are XT. A LavaDome that has got CinderCone stickers? Only thing is, mine has a triple butted fork, and the LavaDome has a dubbel butted in1992

The LavaDome is basically ready for a testride, I have a age specific crank coming for it (Thanks Eef), as current is ~10 year to new. Has new inner tubes as brake pads and some lubing to chain and cables done + cleaning. Front brake cable also replaced as seat. So a easy one.
For the Koa, a disapointment as rear hub, a STX, has noise and as I did open it, the freewheel side had marks both cone as the freewheel body. Bright side is they are changeable, and I hapen to have a 7 speed freewheel body from a old bike that fits, but the seal has different diameter, have to see if it can be retrofit. I also have a wheel whit a bad rim whit a STX RC 8 speed hub that will donate the cone, if all goes well.
For the Niihau, the BB is changed, even it was a cut job (sadly did grind the frame also some...) as left crankarm treads did plop as I tried to get the arm off. Did heat right side before remove it and came easy out. BB came easy out but new was a bot tricky to get in for some reason, but went well in the end. I think the same remove (grinding off) has to be done next time BB needs to be changed, as I did put the crank back. The BB end did come off in the vise whit some heating whit a big boom as it let go. Did also take off the riser bar and replace it whit a flat one. I´m a bit split if I will mount bar ends or just keep it flat... A new shift cable is waiting for a rear derauller/mech, and it need a chain also as it has not one. Brakes need some lube to. And front wheel, that is a mitch match, has tuned it, and got a new tire + tube, so getting closer. Wanted a STX (spechal edission) front hub whit a Ritchey silver rim!

Other 3 bikes still nothing done to aside a check, but some parts coming

OK need some help here. The Niihau shifters/triggers, right side (for rear mech) dont work. the shifters are STX Spechaledission STI:s (MC32), how do I open them and where to lube?

Thanks.

Re:

Undo the s few. Degrease first (wd40 o similar should been it down). Then use a light oil to lubicate and get into the shifter and a bit of light grease on the pals and ratchet area.

Back