6-4 Kona King Kahuna

Pipmeister

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I added a post to the 1998 Marketplace Watch with regards to this question, but I would assume it is more suited to this section.

*Does anyone know if Kona produced a 6-4 King Kahuna other than the fairly well documented 1996 model?*

I was sent the link below while back by al-onestare showing Dario Cioni’s 1999 King Kahuna. This is documented as a 6-4 frame, which up until then I had no idea had been produced.

I can only assume that the one in the link below is actually a 6-4, and presumably these were only produced in small batches – possibly for Team Riders only as it doesn’t appear in any Kona catalogue that I have seen.

http://cog.konaworld.com/tituesday-dari ... ng-kahuna/

It would be interesting to discover whether these were produced with a 6-4 rear triangle similar to the 1996, or with all 8 tubes made from 6-4. This would have made them very expensive to manufacture.

Anyway, the 6-4 1996 King Kahuna has no ovalised tubes or gusseting; Presumably the qualities of a 6-4 rear end was enough to stiffen up the 1996 version for team riders, some of whom were claiming that the Hei Hei flexed too much. However the ovalising and gusseting tubing enhancement was introduced for the 1997 – 2000 King Kahuna.

Dario’s 1999 has the gusseting of a standard King Kahuna from that year, so where did the 6-4 tubes (documented in the Kona link) start and end?

It seems likely that I saw Dario’s 6-4 for sale a while ago (see picture below), but I would need to find one of these that was produced for a team rider who was nearer my height!

KKheihei_zpslvpi8hnl.jpg

Pip.

Excellent questions and I wish I knew the answers. It must be one hell of a bike to ride, probably the 'best' XC racing bike they ever made.

I've shared it elsewhere but it deserves a place here, it's Dario on the very bike you're talking about:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGqJRc_m34w[/youtube]

Re:

I would be very surprised if the rear was 6/4. I would have thought just the main front triangle. Happy to be proven wrong :)

Re: Re:

Harryburgundy":14re11hh said:
I would be very surprised if the rear was 6/4. I would have thought just the main front triangle. Happy to be proven wrong :)

H.B., I’m not sure if you are referring to the 1996 King Kahuna or Dario’s 1999, when you mention 6-4 Rear Stays / Front Triangle.

According to the catalogue, the 1996 K.K. has 6-4 Rear Stays, and 3-2.5 Main Frame. The Hei Hei that year had all 8 tubes made from 3-2.5.There is other evidence to support this, which I can dig out later when I get home.

I just wondered if the one pictured on the Kona Cog page in 1999 livery was built with the same idea in mind. i.e. 6-4 Rear Stays to allegedly to stiffen up the rear end. The text quotes, “which we made in 6/4 titanium”.

Anyway, if there were any others built in 1999 livery, if would be an oversight on my part not to seek one out with a view to adding to my collection. ;)

Pip.

Re:

Either tbh...I'm not sure I have come across seamless 6/4 ti before which I assume the rear stays would be. What do I know?

Harryburgundy":1knho0ac said:
Either tbh...I'm not sure I have come across seamless 6/4 ti before which I assume the rear stays would be. What do I know?

Kona used Sandvik for their tubing supplier, while Titanium Sports in Kennewick did the welding to Kona specifications. Below is an interesting link to Sandvik’s history - if you scroll down a bit, you will find seamless 6-4.

"Sandvik Special Metals (SSM) produces the following seamless zirconium, titanium, and titanium alloy tubing:

- Ti-3Al-2.5V Aerospace, Chemical and Sports Tubing
- Ti-6Al-4V Aerospace, Medical, and Sports Tubing"

I did read that the reason Kona stopped using 6-4 was that “the US military took all the tubing so they came up with a thinner wall shaped Ti Tubeset”, (which we find in the 1997 - 2000 K.K & Score)….. blimey :shock:

http://www2.sandvik.com/sandvik/0140/in ... enDocument

Pip.

Re:

Hi. This thread is 4 yrs old and im hoping someone still can help me identifying my kona. Picked this one up just recently and im confused what year amd model is it. Not sure how to post photos tough. My heihei has a decal on the seat stay that says kahuna 6-4 and the decal on the headset is diff from all the hei hei's ive seen. It has orange round thing decal that a cinderxone has

lusport":3e9rv8pt said:
Hi. This thread is 4 yrs old and im hoping someone still can help me identifying my kona. Picked this one up just recently and im confused what year amd model is it. Not sure how to post photos tough. My heihei has a decal on the seat stay that says kahuna 6-4 and the decal on the headset is diff from all the hei hei's ive seen. It has orange round thing decal that a cinderxone has
Your frame could be a 1996 King Kahuna, which are fairly rare. These do have the Hei Hei Decal on the Top Tube, and a King Kahuna 6-4 Decal on the seat tube. They were usually Gold, but a few came with Blue Decals - see example below.

You can use my e-mail address to send me some pictures, which I will send to you in a Private Message. Please note that you will not be able to reply to the Private Message until you have made 30 posts, which is a new feature introduced to stop Spammers.

Please reply on here if you have any problems.

Pip

Attachments

• 96 King Kahuna 17.jpg
    96 King Kahuna 17.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 423

pipmeister":cfbih2ot said:
lusport":cfbih2ot said:
Your frame could be a 1996 King Kahuna, which are fairly rare. These do have the Hei Hei Decal on the Top Tube, and a King Kahuna 6-4 Decal on the seat tube. They were usually Gold, but a few came with Blue Decals - see example below.

You can use my e-mail address to send me some pictures, which I will send to you in a Private Message. Please note that you will not be able to reply to the Private Message until you have made 30 posts, which is a new feature introduced to stop Spammers.

Please reply on here if you have any problems.

Pip

Back