40 years of the stumpjumper.

I'm not a huge fan of the handling of the very early mountain bikes so I don't think I would like owning an 82 event though I like the aesthetic. I have no idea what a 2022 looks like / does and I don't do modern mountain biking any more so it would probably be a waste on me - most of my bikes are moving towards drop bar gravel bikes and mountain bikes from what I consider the glory days of steel mountain bike design.

I owned a 91 Stumpjumper FS and it was probably the mountain bike I was the least happy with. The rims were like cheese, the fork was so noodly I had to add a rock rooster to keep things in check while braking in turns and its geometry was completely unsuited to my local trails. It would have made a decent drop bar touring bike if fitted with a rigid fork.

Still I will agree that the Stumpy is an important bike in the development of the sport and its nice that they've kept the name plate going all these years.

Since the Stumpjumper was available from the early days until today it really tells the story of the sport and how it has evolved. Almost everyone has some sort of experience with some version of it. Here is my original 91 Stumpjumper and my very non original 01 SWorks.

Attachments

• 20210421_174440.jpg
    20210421_174440.jpg
    976.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220302_100212.jpg
    20220302_100212.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Back