40 years of the stumpjumper.

grey-beard

Orange 🍊 Fan
Good article, which one would you choose? The 1982 or 2022 version?
Can I have both?

Are you trying to imply that retro is no longer the hip young thing 😞

I think it would still prefer the more affordable original. The new bikes are kind of samey these days, and always seem to be expensively maintenance hungry, and a complete faff to set up. Seems the newer is more about going at a million miles an hour and the original is about enjoying the outdoors for what it is.

There's definitely a place for both these bikes in my life and maybe in yours to? I agree that modern bikes are about speed and conquering ever more extreme terrain, but I like to do that sometimes, other times I want to be on a beautiful old bike enjoying the great outdoors at a leisurely pace. Life is great.

To me, the question is akin to Picasso vs NFT. I would not hesitate to sell the 2022 for even one minute. I could finance a desirable Stumpy collection with the proceeds. I have no interest in conquering wilderness whatsoever. I just want to travel through it.

Last edited:
this thread needs some pictures

RZ96020-630x420.jpg

I just want to travel through it.

I think a lot of people do still, hence the rise of gravel biking , which in many ways combines the off road ability of the original stumpy with the mile eating ability of audax/touring bikes. This is exemplified by Dom Masons "Fast, Far" ethos.

The current stumpy is a very capable trail/enduro bike, but its a million miles away from the purpose the original.

There are a couple of bike that spring to mind as spirtual successors of the stumpjumper. One is Stooges scrambler (check out the biplane fork - very 1982 stumpy)
web1-2048x1356.jpg

And another is the cotic cascade

cascade_studio_51731801329.jpg

And then the absolutely stunning Mason ISO.

ISO_GREY_BLACKDOOR12.jpg

I feel the bookends are not fully representative of the quality that is between. Although I would cherish an original, I would rather ride the middle era. stumpjumperFS.jpeg Sworks.jpg Stumpy.jpg
I guess that is why I am a Retrobike member as opposed to pinkbike or whatever the spot is for modern monstertruck bikes.

Seems like just yesterday I got my copy of the “25 years of Stumpjumper” book!!!

Latest posts

Back