26" gravel type tyres

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I've finished rebuilding my Dave yates tourer, and one thing I'm missing is tyres. I currently have some proper MTB tyres (dart front, tioga something rear) on it, and also have some Michelin slicks I can use, but I need something in between them. When I toured down under, I used vredestein spyders which were brilliant, but unfortunately no longer made. I plan on some decent "mixed" rides, plenty of off road but limited to dirt tracks, nothing too dramatic. What I need is a decent, not too expensive, gravel tyre in 26". Any recommendations?

I've been running Rene Herse Naches on my commuter for the last couple of years, they roll amazingly well but i've been running them at low pressure to avoid punctures (i ride through student-ville and there's f'kin glass everywhere)...which has worked a charm but they're starting to crack in places above the beading "insert frowny face"

IMG_9507.JPG

..and extralight Rat Traps on MTB/Road... marshmellow-esque
fullsizeoutput_3133.jpeg

+1 for Michelin Country Rock. Very good all rounder and feel good with a latex tube. Super cheap and puncture resistance is ok. Conti Race King is a very good all rounder too but pricier. Rolls very very well and feels good with a latex tube. Avoid the race sport version if you roughstuff.

I have had good experience with Continental Contact Speeds. They have a micro dots or stippled tread, so if it gets too muddy they aren't suitable, but for drier gravel conditions i like them a lot.

They come as wide as 26x2.0, so you can run low pressure. However Contis mount narrow in my experience. Also very reasonable price

Thanks for the suggestions! the michelins look good but maybe a little too road oriented, as do the contact speeds. Conti double fighters look like a good mix though, actually quite similar to the vredestein spyders... good to know there are quite a few options though!

Back