2001 Trek Elite 9.8

While im waiting for a couple of parts to arive for another build i decided to drag this out the garage and start to upgrade the parts. It has been very neglected and still had mud on from the last ride a couple of years ago 🤦

I had a bad start, striping the threads on the crank and after trying a couple of tricks i got bored and decided to just cut the arm off. 5 mins later i had hardly made a mark with my blunt hacksaw so resorted to chisel. The bb which i thought i may have teouble with came out easy, kind of miffed i didnt take my time with the crank and now have a drive side crank arm if anyone wants it :roll:

Anyway, enough for today, hopefully tomorrow will be a more productive day. P1012351.JPG

Last edited:
Before my ride today i gave the bike a quick clean before putting parts on later. Love the sun, brings out the best in things :cool: P1012361.JPG P1012358.JPG

Last edited:
Fitted most the parts today, just need to fit the rear mech and replace the chain. And find some shorter brake bolts as the rears are too long. It just needs cableing up then and maybe a change of rubber will be a good thing.

A few of pics of it at moment.. P1012398.JPG P1012396.JPG P1012395.JPG P1012393.JPG

Last edited:
My_Teenage_Self":jt08nqp7 said:
Nice.

My OCLV is a few years older, but they really are comfy aren't they!

Thanks.

I always assumed carbon was rigid for some reason, i remember being pleasantly suprised when i first rode it.

The silver bars didnt seem right now i have changed a couple of things so trying some black ones instead, which i think suit a bit better. P1012405.JPG P1012406.JPG P1012403.JPG P1012401.JPG

Last edited:
mk one":2q8b1idv said:
My_Teenage_Self":2q8b1idv said:
Nice.

Thanks.

I always assumed carbon was rigid for some reason, i remember being pleasantly suprised when i first rode it.

I think it can be rigid, depending on the design & layup, but done properly, they can be super compliant. It looks like yours has a much beefier downtube & headtube junction to mine too.

My_Teenage_Self":31swqijp said:
mk one":31swqijp said:
My_Teenage_Self":31swqijp said:
Nice.

Thanks.

I think it can be rigid, depending on the design & layup, but done properly, they can be super compliant. It looks like yours has a much beefier downtube & headtube junction to mine too.

Yes, i wonder if it is to stiffen it up or they had issues, cant say ive heard of them being prone to failure there. The flex in my frame is mainly around the rear stays and bb area, it definatly needs a stiffer fork up front than the Sids on it at moment.

Back