Orange R8 build

Kieran-b

Kona Fan
After getting back into mountain bike this summer and having a great time dabbling with (being distracted by) some of the stuff from my childhood - mid 90s, I finally made a decision on a frame for what I set out to do in the first place. I am going to build a bike from the time I was really into bikes and did the most riding which would be around late 2000s to mid 2010s.
What I had in mind was a hardtail, 26" wheels, 100/120mm fork, 27speed. Something similar to the bike I did the most miles on - the person I sold that bike to still has it, but wants to keep it.
After a lot of indecision, this came up and I knew it was the one for me:
IMG_20231018_110535.jpg

One I'd completely forgotten about. I now remember thinking it was great when it came out, but that the price was too high, so it was quickly dismissed.
Seems like they were priced too high as this frame came from the original owner with a purchase receipt for showing he paid around half price for it.

I acquired a lovely set of Fox Forks a while ago which I will be using. My previous Fox Forks served me well before so I don't feel the need to look anywhere else.
IMG_20231019_170943.jpg
These are the TALAS version which I'm not that bothered about. I was never one to fiddle with things on the go. Just a 100 or 120 RL would have done, but these are in such great condition and in white too which will suit the frame much better than black ones. The frame is not rated for 140, so I'll try the 120 and 100 and probably just pick one and leave it there.

A quick try with the frame:
IMG_20231018_111217.jpg

Would rather the headset was black, but the grey will have to stay as I've not got the tools to install another.

I have a few sets of wheels, but only one with a 15mm front axle. A DT Swiss set currently buried at the back of the shed. They are also white, so should look ok (better if they didn't have red on them).

Components will be mostly shimano XT M770. I have a set of the quirky brakes which used the levers for the shifting which I'm going to try and have bought a rapid rise rear mech to suit.

Last edited:
After a busy few weeks, I finally managed to get a bit more done.
IMG_20231117_111107.jpg IMG_20231117_111146.jpg IMG_20231117_111211.jpg
Wheels dug out from the back of the shed and fitted with RT97 rotors (was trying to avoid XTR, but I really like these) and a brand new XT M770 Cassette. The rapid rise rear derailleur has also been fitted. It has a few scratches, but hasn't actually been used much.

The bars, stem (stem in photo is temporary to stop forks falling off) and Seatpost were delivered today. I chose to buy new ones rather than used and went for Race Face Ride all round. I originally got a bit carried away and ordered the Turbine, but then realised that I probably wouldn't notice the difference and I'd be better off losing a few hundred grams myself than spending the extra on some lightweight components.

Hope to have more done in the coming days.

A little more progress
IMG_20231118_121536.jpg IMG_20231118_121502.jpg
While fitting the M775 Shifter Levers I had an amusing thought: It isn't obvious how to change gear with these unless you already know, so if you always leave it in 1st gear when you get off and somebody tries to make off on it while your back is turned, unless they can work it out quickly they won't get far!

After saying I was trying to avoid XTR, these came up for sale on here and I do like the m970 shifters. IMG_20240113_222328.jpg
But, on the other hand, I also want to give the XT shifter levers a go even though there is a strong possibility I'll not get on with them like pretty much everyone else who has tried them. Maybe just one ride, then if I'm not won over I'll get the XTR put on along with some XT m985 brakes. The 25th will be bike finishing day so I have until then to decide.

Back